Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

Is handwriting becoming obsolete?

Do you think schools should spend less time teaching handwriting (and/or cursive) in schools since technology use is growing? 

Do you think at some point the need to have handwriting skills will become obsolete?

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Replies (11-18):
storkradio193
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I think writing is still pretty important and will be for a good while.  I am not so concerned with cursive though.  Today, I use a hybrid with cursive and standard letters.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

BabyTeki
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM
My sister just told me recently that they stopped teaching cursive. My youngest 2 nephews can't read it. She said she has had to change how she writes so they can read her notes. They're 12 and 14
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOswald0314
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I don't see it ever becoming comepletly obsolete.

4kidz916
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I do think they should cut some of the emphasis.  I've already seen that there's not as much time spent on cursive writing now. 

ceciliam
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I think there will be a need for handwriting but I know lots of schools are phasing it out.

Bob192
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Our elementary school barely teaches it any more.  I don't guess it really matters to me, except a lot of records are in cursive.  People need to be able to read them.  But if all of that goes onto computers, I don't guess that would matter.

itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Ditto to this.

Quoting MamaMandee:

I think handwriting is important but I see where you are coming from with the question. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristinRox
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:34 PM

They spend A LOT less time teaching cursive. My dd brought home some sheets in grade 3 and the teachers sent home info for me to teach her. 

I think handwriting is important, so my dd knows how. I do see that technology is taking over though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)