Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

Google launches $249 Chromebook

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM
  • 14 Replies

What a great price for a kid.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/10/18/google-launches-249-chromebook/1641795/

Chromebooks are cloud-based laptops that to date haven't exactly taken the computing market by storm. That could explain the attractive new $249 price, a big drop from the previous $449 entry price for a Wi-Fi only model.

The latest machine is less than 0.8 inches thick, has an 11.6-inch display (1366x768 resolution) that is a bit smaller than before, 2GB of memory, and SSD storage of 16GB. It weighs just over 2.4 pounds, which is lighter than its predecessor, and it houses a Samsung Exynos 5250 processor. Google is claiming more than 6.5 hours of battery life. It has a single USB 3.0 port, a single USB 2.0 port, a combo headphone/mic jack, secure digital memory slot, and an HDMI Port.

For all the specs, Chromebooks are marketed as hassle and virus-free machines that start up in seconds. Google says there are thousands of free apps available for Chromebook. Already preloaded: Search, Gmail, YouTube, and Hangouts. Google can and does regularly update the software.

As before, most everything you do is through Google's own Chrome Web browser and the cloud-based Chrome operating system it is based on. But that also means you're somewhat limited when you are offline.

Google faces another hurdle, the timing of the release. Microsoft is garnering a lot of attention for its upcoming Windows 8 software and the Microsoft-branded Surface tablet that takes advantage of the new operating system. Apple is widely expected to bring out a smaller iPad next week. And then there's Google's own upcoming Android event in which it is rumored to perhaps be unveiling new tablets and smartphones.

In the midst of its accidental earnings release, and the invitation sent out late Wednesday night to journalists announcing an Android-related press event in New York City on Oct. 29, Google is unleashing a new lower-priced Chromebook computer.

by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marz31
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

It's certainly more interesting at that pricepoint. when it was originally released, it was just ridiculous. And I guess since you can plug in a huge flash drive, you can really have a ton more storage onboard or easily accessible as opposed to ALWAYS having to access from the cloud. I still don't think I'll get one, I was just drooling over a new laptop the other day, not that mine is even 2 years old, but a girl needs dreams ;)

storkradio193
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I don't see any need for this myself, as my phone is about the same except with a much smaller screen and no usb.  I just go to my desktop when I need a bigger screen and its over 20 inches.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

johnny4ever
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM

pass

kerryket
by Kerry on Oct. 20, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Thanks for posting.

AllieRambles
by New Member on Oct. 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Great price point for parents wanting to get their teen or even older children (or younger if you are into technology).  Computers are so important in our world today.   Great to know your way around one. 

websorceress
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 2:06 AM

that's a pretty good price......

goddess99
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM

tyfs

Wish2Be
by Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I am thinking...google is a little late in the game....and the price is higher than most similar items .

Bmat
by Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I have always had windows based, so probably won't be getting this, but thank you for the information.

Kainalu55
by Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM

it's pretty affordable

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)