Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parental controls and tablets

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

Does anyone have a tablet that has some good parental controls on it?  I'm thinking my MIL will want to puchase one for my son (mostly for reading) and I would like to have parental controls on it (not a big fan of the idea of even getting him one).  Can you recommend anything to us?

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Marz31
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM

the new Kindle Fires all have profiles that you can use to setup a profile for your kid that doesn't have apps or access that you don't want. I haven't played with it IRL, but I imagine you could read more about it at amazon or go into a store like Best Buy and ask them about the features.

.Angelica.
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM

no tablet

Marz31
by Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Here's more info on the FreeTime feature on the new Kindle Fires

Perfect for Parents

Kindle FreeTime is a new service, built from the ground up to help give parents peace of mind when it comes to tablet use. Parents can create a profile for each of their children and choose what books, apps, games and videos they want to give their kids access to. Kindle FreeTime is free on every Kindle Fire HD.

Set Screen Limits

Many parents choose to limit their kids' screen time, but doing so without the proper tools is difficult. With Kindle FreeTime, parents can set daily limits for Kindle Fire HD use, or restrict certain categories - like games and video - while leaving unlimited time for reading.

...And Perfect for Kids

When kids use Kindle FreeTime, it's like they have their very own, personalized tablet. The background color and fonts change to a kid-friendly design. They only see the titles that they have access to see. The home screen carousel shows their recently viewed titles. And, they can even navigate visually to content based on characters or topics - for example "Cinderella," "Dinosaurs," or "Puppies."

Built Tough

Kindle Fire HD is designed to stand up to accidental bumps and scrapes. Our state-of-the art display is 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, so you can let your child play, without worry.

MichelleK41
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:18 AM

What about the Innotab by Vtech?  I guess it would also depend on his age. I know our 14 year old has an Ipad issued through the school and the school found apps for parental/school control.

kimsardo
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I need an app like that for the ipad. The last time I looked there wasn't much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)