Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

Can it be done?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this
My 13 year old has a basic MP3 player that he bought himself a couple of years ago. He can download music & use it to record as well. It is not an ipod or Apple product.

I was thinking of upgrading to a fancy ipod for a Christmas gift but I don't want him to lose the tons of music he has on his MP3 player.

Is it possible to transfer music from a 'non-Apple' MP3 to an ipod? I'm concerned as I've heard that Apple is rather exclusive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM

i have no clue. hope someone else has an answer for you!

mommythree0508
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM
not sure
timon95
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:35 PM
2 moms liked this

if he has the music saved on windows media player or the cloud then he can put them on disc. when he gets the ipod he will set up an itunes account. import the music from the discs to the itunes account, then syc the ipod with the playlist on itunes

Wish2Be
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:04 AM

I would think its much more simple than that....like for instance... in order for him to get it onto the MP3 player...he would have to have a file on  his main computer. All he would have to do is upload to the new one from that same folder. Right?

mrswillie
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Yes. You can sync.

MichelleK41
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Don't know but a very good question!

storkradio193
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it is possible.  Is the music stored on a computer or only on the mp3 player?  You will need to have the music on a computer (you can move it from the mp3 player to a computer). When you get the ipod, you can just install itunes, which will locate the music files and upload the ones you want (similar to the mp3 player).  Where has he been downloading music from?  Some sites have anti-copy software (or whatever it is called), and apple is one of those companies.  The software can limit transfers.  Also, the ipod will scrabble the names of all your music files so that they cannot be easily copied to another computer.  So, it is important not to delete the music files from the computer.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

FlyingMommy747
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:40 PM

It is not so simple, Apple only lets you sync if it is something bought from iTunes.  I found that out the hard way when I got an iPod Touch last year, and I could not synch it with my iPod Nano because a lot of the music came from my personal CD collection.  I would recommend he copy his music to a CD and then load it in from that.

the3Rs
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Thanks - that's what I was thinking as well.  I never thought of putting it all on a CD and loading from that...awesome!  Thanks!

Quoting FlyingMommy747:

It is not so simple, Apple only lets you sync if it is something bought from iTunes.  I found that out the hard way when I got an iPod Touch last year, and I could not synch it with my iPod Nano because a lot of the music came from my personal CD collection.  I would recommend he copy his music to a CD and then load it in from that.

itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I have no clue but hopefully you can since it would make things much easier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN