Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe
My 13 year old has a basic MP3 player that he bought himself a couple of years ago. He can download music & use it to record as well. It is not an ipod or Apple product.

I was thinking of upgrading to a fancy ipod for a Christmas gift but I don't want him to lose the tons of music he has on his MP3 player.

Is it possible to transfer music from a 'non-Apple' MP3 to an ipod? I'm concerned as I've heard that Apple is rather exclusive.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Replies (11-12):
timon95
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I have many songs on my ipod that are from my personal cd collection. just import the music to itunes, add to playlist, and sync!

Quoting FlyingMommy747:

It is not so simple, Apple only lets you sync if it is something bought from iTunes.  I found that out the hard way when I got an iPod Touch last year, and I could not synch it with my iPod Nano because a lot of the music came from my personal CD collection.  I would recommend he copy his music to a CD and then load it in from that.

family car

storkradio193
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:47 PM

You definitely do not have to put everything on a cd.  As long as the files on your computer are a recognized format like mp3, itunes can find it.  It would take forever to copy the files to CDs as audio files like on CDs you buy at the store.  You could only put 12 or so songs on each cd.  If you are just copying mp3s to a cd, then it will be recognized exactly the same as mp3 files on your computer.  Hope this makes sense.

Quoting the3Rs:

Thanks - that's what I was thinking as well.  I never thought of putting it all on a CD and loading from that...awesome!  Thanks!

Quoting FlyingMommy747:

It is not so simple, Apple only lets you sync if it is something bought from iTunes.  I found that out the hard way when I got an iPod Touch last year, and I could not synch it with my iPod Nano because a lot of the music came from my personal CD collection.  I would recommend he copy his music to a CD and then load it in from that.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN