Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

USPS to end Saturday Delivery

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 14 Replies

U.S. Postal Service to End Saturday Mail Delivery

Feb 6, 2013 8:28am
gty us postal service lpl 130206 wblog U.S. Postal Service to End Saturday Mail Delivery

(Image Credit: Victor J. Blue/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Weekend mail delivery is about to come to an end.

The U.S. Postal Service will stop delivering mail on Saturdays, but will continue to deliver packages six days a week, a congressional source says.  The USPS is expected to make the announcement at a news conference this morning.

While post offices that open on Saturdays will continue to do so, the initiative, which is expected to begin the first week of August, will save an estimated $2 billion annually.

The service reduction is the latest of Postal Service steps to cut costs as the independent agency of the U.S. government struggles with its finances.

The USPS announced in May it was cutting back on the number of operating hours instead of shuttering 3,700 rural post offices. The move, which reduced hours of operation at 13,000 rural post offices from an eight-hour day to between two and six hours a day, was made with the aim of saving about $500 million per year.

The cutback in hours last year resulted in 9,000 full-time postal employees’ being reduced to part time plus the loss of their benefits, while another 4,000 full-time employees became part time but kept their benefits.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
storkradio193
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm not surprised.  The postal service is losing so much money.  I don't get much mail anyway, more ads than anything.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

DissieDothe
by New Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:26 AM

We will no longer have to worry about mail deliveries when we are away on Saturday! Oops! they will still deliver packages on Saturday! It's goofy - you order something online with Fed Ex delivery and it comes in the mailbox!

My biggest gripe with the US postal service - All of our Netflix came opened. Hey postal workers - get an account!

ScrChk23
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:14 AM

I am ok with it.  I don't get a whole lot in the mail anyways.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM
They've been talking about doing this for a few years now, so I'm not surprised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trainlady
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM

The post office either has to cut back or raise the price of postage so high none of us could afford to send a letter or package. Its either or. Personally I don't care if they stop Saturday deliveries since I don't have anything coming that can't wait until Monday. Also now we can go away for a weekend and leave on Friday and not have to worry about mail coming and sitting in the box while we are gone. We live on a rural route with our box way out on the highway and I don't want my mail left out there for two days. So stopping Saturday delivery is just fine with me. Its better than paying higher rates also. The computer has put a serious dent into the USPS so they have to make adjustments to cover that.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I just saw today that they won't be ending Saturday service after all!

Wish2Be
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Its completely understandable. Maybe once things pick back up for them...they can start doing Saturday's again.

Wish2Be
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Quoting lalasmama2007:

I just saw today that they won't be ending Saturday service after all!

I havent heard about that yet. Yay !

CafeMom Tickers
Sisteract
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Not a problem here.
mrswillie
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I can understand it. The internet is causing them to lose money. Many pay bills on line, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)