Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is my computer running?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM
  • 8 Replies

When we had a storm with a power outage, the desk computer went down. When the power came back on, the computer started running but the keyboard, monitor, & mouse did not work. I thought the computer was just updating itself but it never stopped running or working.

Is my computer fried?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
alibrezzy154
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

turn off your computer. Uplug all of your cords from the back of your tower and plug them back in and start up the computer. It should work then. 

Shopsha0911
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

This is exactly what I would suggest too. Good Luck.

Quoting alibrezzy154:

turn off your computer. Uplug all of your cords from the back of your tower and plug them back in and start up the computer. It should work then. 

DissieDothe
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM

That's exactly what I think. The problem is - the computer will not shut down. You have to unplug it to make it stop running.

alibrezzy154
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM

you can't hold down the reset button or hold the power button down till it shuts off???

Quoting DissieDothe:

That's exactly what I think. The problem is - the computer will not shut down. You have to unplug it to make it stop running.

DissieDothe
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Quoting alibrezzy154:

you can't hold down the reset button or hold the power button down till it shuts off???

Quoting DissieDothe:

Before I plugged it in, I held down the power button on the front. I plugged it in (still holding the power button) and it stayed off until I released the button. Then it just started running again. I plugged the mouse in and it did not come on.

I took all the cords out when this happened (mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers, router). I'm not sure if the computer is actually coming on or just the cooling fan. 

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM
It sounds like the power supply is fried. You can replace that yourself if you know what you're doing, otherwise take it to a repair shop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Twisties34
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM
I agree power supply sounds fried. Get it looked at
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Yes what they said! GL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)