Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introduce yourself!

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 514 Total Views

This is a thread for new members to introduce themselves and if they feel comfortable doing so, telling us how Autism and/or ADHD is effecting their children, self or spouse.  Welcome to you all!

welcome

by on Nov. 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZsMommy
by Member on Nov. 28, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Hey-I'm Heids...

I have a 10 year old girl who is on the spectrum-she's a pretty cool kid. She is high functioning but did not really speak until she was 3-that was merely echoalic speech-With speech therapy she gained conversational speech. Her chronolgical age and comprehensive age do not often match (as is common with most on the sprectrum)-So my 10 year old often understands the world as a 4 or 5 year old...And sometimes a teenager. She has an awesome sense of humor-but she is also very emotional.

Autism is a journey for myself and husband-personally it makes our daughter who she is and who we are as parents-but that's us. I only hate autism during the meltdowns I can't fix-the biggies that come maybe once a year-those lead me to mom meltdowns where I'm in tears right along with our daughter.

In 10 years of raising an autistic child and 3 years of being here on cafe and being an admin in another autism group-I've found the word "cure" is met with varying degrees of acceptance-mainly it pits the mom's with HF kids versus the mom's with lower functioning children-Personally I accept both views-for us-cure is not what we seek,I'd actually just like an answer of "why" and look forward to prevention-But for the mom's who struggle with low functioning children I completely understand the want for a cure.

In any case-trippyhippy-the group owner invited me here and I hope i can learn or chime in where possible.

But that's me...Heids...Anything else-just ask me :)

trippyhippy
by Group Owner on Nov. 28, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Awesome!  Thank you so much for joining my group and sharing your story.  This group will not only be about a cure but also news about why Autism is effecting our kids in the first place.  Every week or so a new study comes out that fits another piece to this puzzle and that is exciting for everyone touched by Autism.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Hey-I'm Heids...

I have a 10 year old girl who is on the spectrum-she's a pretty cool kid. She is high functioning but did not really speak until she was 3-that was merely echoalic speech-With speech therapy she gained conversational speech. Her chronolgical age and comprehensive age do not often match (as is common with most on the sprectrum)-So my 10 year old often understands the world as a 4 or 5 year old...And sometimes a teenager. She has an awesome sense of humor-but she is also very emotional.

Autism is a journey for myself and husband-personally it makes our daughter who she is and who we are as parents-but that's us. I only hate autism during the meltdowns I can't fix-the biggies that come maybe once a year-those lead me to mom meltdowns where I'm in tears right along with our daughter.

In 10 years of raising an autistic child and 3 years of being here on cafe and being an admin in another autism group-I've found the word "cure" is met with varying degrees of acceptance-mainly it pits the mom's with HF kids versus the mom's with lower functioning children-Personally I accept both views-for us-cure is not what we seek,I'd actually just like an answer of "why" and look forward to prevention-But for the mom's who struggle with low functioning children I completely understand the want for a cure.

In any case-trippyhippy-the group owner invited me here and I hope i can learn or chime in where possible.

But that's me...Heids...Anything else-just ask me :)

ksbondgirl
by New Member on Nov. 28, 2010 at 9:45 PM

I am an admin for another group whereas the "cure" word or the "cause" word is not discussed.  I think that these things SHOULD be discussed.  I do know that as an admin it can get hard just to keep the peace and I know that a life with an asd kid is not easy.  We are stressed constantly.  But here is a group/situation that these things will be discussed.  It is my hope that we will all be civil!

I have 9 year old boy/girl twins--my son is on the spectrum.

cindie83099
by Member on Nov. 29, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Ok...here goes. My name is Cindie and I have 2 sons on the spectrum.

Ryan my oldest is 11 years old and in 5th grade. He is mainstreamed in school with therapy and some special accomodations.  He's an A and B student... all around great kid. I share custody of him with my EX.

Ronnie is 4 years old, almost 5.  Happy little bugga, nonverbal and a complete runner. Just got an extra aid for him in the classroom after a 1 1/2 fight with school system. Oh and he's a terrible sleeper, so I'm always exhausted.

That's it in a nutshell.

Cindie

Proud mom to Ryan and Ronnie 
           my Angel and my Boo Boo

trippyhippy
by Group Owner on Nov. 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Thanks so much ladies for sharing your stories!

trippyhippy
by Group Owner on Nov. 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM

My name is Trip and I am the owner of this group.  I am married to my soul mate JD who is a tattoo artist.  We have one son, Lucky Day, who is 5 and has moderate to severe Autism.  Lucky was non verbal till very recently but now as probably a few hundred words that he uses OVER and OVER all day long. lol  He also has ADHD and never stops moving for one second.  He is an elloper and has agression/behavior issues as well.  Other then all that, he is a adorable, loving, super smart little wild man that we all adore but makes our lives pretty crazy.  Oh and we are pretty sure he is going to be the first autistic male super model as he is a looker, very photogenic and very charasmatic.  People are drawn to him.

mtnmama111
by New Member on Dec. 1, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Hi, I'm Chris.. I am self(adult) diagnosed ADD, hubby is most definitely ADHD (49- never diagnosed but never met a more obvious case ;) my brother is ADHD although they denied him the diagnosos as a child because he was too intelligent for their guidelines..  we also seem to have a strong strain of posiible Asperger's running through my side of the family at the very least.. my older daughter has been officially doagnosed ADHD and she definitely has some *oddities* lolol to her personality that would seem to indicate Asperger's..(I truly believe I am either Asperger's or a *highly sensitive person*)...looking forward to posts with sustance instead of opinion- there is a place for that- but facts are most helpful (to me at least)

I pledge allegiance to the Earth and to the flora, fauna and human life that it supports, one planet, indivisible, with safe air, water and soil, economic justice, equal rights, and peace for all.

trippyhippy
by Group Owner on Dec. 2, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Welcome Chris!

Quoting mtnmama111:

Hi, I'm Chris.. I am self(adult) diagnosed ADD, hubby is most definitely ADHD (49- never diagnosed but never met a more obvious case ;) my brother is ADHD although they denied him the diagnosos as a child because he was too intelligent for their guidelines..  we also seem to have a strong strain of posiible Asperger's running through my side of the family at the very least.. my older daughter has been officially doagnosed ADHD and she definitely has some *oddities* lolol to her personality that would seem to indicate Asperger's..(I truly believe I am either Asperger's or a *highly sensitive person*)...looking forward to posts with sustance instead of opinion- there is a place for that- but facts are most helpful (to me at least)

crysangel25
by on Dec. 3, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Hi there, My name is Crystal and I do not have any children with Autism, but ADHD may be a possibility. I have two girls who are very active and some times crazy. Well, they drive me crazy any way. I joined this group to see what it was all about and see if I could help out in some way.

trippyhippy
by Group Owner on Dec. 4, 2010 at 12:17 PM

welcome

Quoting crysangel25:

Hi there, My name is Crystal and I do not have any children with Autism, but ADHD may be a possibility. I have two girls who are very active and some times crazy. Well, they drive me crazy any way. I joined this group to see what it was all about and see if I could help out in some way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)