Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Carly Fleischmann blogs about her journey with autism

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2010 at 11:46 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 1432 Total Views

A remarkable Toronto teen who is helping to change the way the world sees people with autism. Carly Fleischmann cannot speak, but she started typing a blog three years ago and many have caught on to what she has to say.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/20101126/carlys-blog-101128/

Sunday, Nov. 28, 2010

For all of you who know about me and have followed me on my blog, carlysvoice.com, how cool is this? For all of you hearing about me and my story or reading this blog for the first time, my name is Carly Fleischmann and I have autism. I also have apraxia that prevents me from speaking with my mouth. I have learned how to communicate through the help of technology and now I am able to shed some light on the myths and misperceptions about autism.

I have always said that doctors and so-called experts only know a little piece about autism. How could they know the real pieces of autism when they aren't inside our heads and living with it for their whole lives. My hope with writing this blog is to help teach and educate people about autism and at the same time share with you a glimpse of my life, a cute girl living with autism. I will be answering questions from you, the reader, about autism and sharing my personal experiences at my high school which is a typical school. I have always gone to ABA (Applied Behavioural Analysis) schools and school board special needs classes but just this year I have earned an amazing opportunity to attend an unbelievable mainstream school.

People always are skeptical when they hear I can spell on my own. I always hear people say "she must be using Facilitated Communication" or ask "is someone telling her what to say?" The truth is I don't use Facilitated Communication and I think my parents wish they could put words in my mouth but I don't have a hand up my butt telling me what to say. Sorry mom and dad. LOL. Many well-known doctors in the autism field have seen me spell all by myself and do vouch that I do so independently.

I do believe every nonverbal autistic child and adult has an inner voice just waiting to come out. A wise man once told me that without knowledge we can't have understanding. Hopefully my blog will give you, not only knowledge but, a chance to help bring understanding to people around you.

I would like to thank you for going to my blog and I hope that I get you thinking and keep you wanting to come back blog after blog.

Your truly honoured autism educator,

Carly Fleischmann

Cindie

Proud mom to Ryan and Ronnie 
           my Angel and my Boo Boo

by on Nov. 28, 2010 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
ZsMommy
by Member on Nov. 28, 2010 at 11:48 PM

I watched a video link on her bout a month ago-pretty cool!!!

cindie83099
by Member on Nov. 28, 2010 at 11:56 PM

This is a new thing she's doing with CTVnews out of Toronto... pretty cool...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN