Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

New to Support Across the Spectrum? Start here!

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM
  • 928 Replies
9 moms liked this

Welcome to Autism: Support Across the Spectrum! You've found a terrific group of supportive women who understand your life as the mom of a kid with Autism, Asperberger's, or another disorder on the spectrum.

Please introduce yourself so other moms can get to know you! Let us know about you, your children, and anything you're interested in learning more about or sharing with the group.

Click here to find help on some of the most common issues facing ASD moms from Diagnosis and Treatment to Meltdowns and Potty Training.

Are you looking for local resources or professional help?  Check out this link: Autism Resources

Plus, tell us your child's birthday so we can post wishes for them on their special day!  If you're interested in learning more about our special kiddos and awesome mommies, you can find out about them here: ☺Super Stars & Moms of the Week!☺ And, just for fun, place yourself on our virtual map and see if anyone lives nearby!  

And don't forget to jump into a discussion or start a post of your own!

Lastly, if you'd like to have your name added beside your avatar, sign up here!

Thank you for being here!

by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thatgirl70
by on Jan. 13, 2011 at 7:51 PM
4 moms liked this

Greetings! My name is Carin, new here to Autism: Support Across the Spectrum. I have been (mostly) happily married to my husband Curt for 7 1/2 years (together for 12 1/2). Together we have a son named Conor who will be 4 on March 28. I'm an older mom, I had him at 37 (DH was 31).

Conor is currently attending the Head Start program, which he got in due to having a speech delay. Over the course of several weeks, it became more and more apparent that he was showing signs of autism and as I believe it Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). To make a long story short, he met with a psychologist on January 3 who diagnosed him as having either PDD or Autism Disorder. He will be undergoing a more thorough evaulation with the school system's autism team to determine exactly what type (and if they agree with the diagnosis).

PageKing
by on Jan. 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM
6 moms liked this

Hi my name is Page and have been on Cafemom since 2007 I have a step son with autism, sensory integration, anger displacement, low muscle tone, adhd and a host of other things.,  we have full custody of him and I have been his teacher and caregiver since he was 3.  He was non verbal did not walk did not feed himself was not potty trained.  he hit his head on the floor until he passed out or would hit other people in the head and scratch and cause other bodily harm.  When I met my DH he was told his son would grow out of it but coming from a family of 6 with 2 being severally special needs and one full autism I knew better.  I immediately scheduled an appointment with Childrens Hospital in Boston Mass and he was diagnosed quickly.  He has made tremendous strides and we did without medication until we had our first daughter and he through her down a flight of stairs when she was a newborn and would bite her when we were not looking.  So the doctors and us thought it was best for his safety and for ours.  The medication made him a completely different child.  It took tweaking but 10 years later he is a  functioning child can sit still talks reads plays video games he is in a special class in school because he is delayed about 3 years but he is doing well for were he is at.  He will most likely live with us the rest of his life but that is fine I still take care of my special needs sister and brother full time and my family so i know how it goes.  There's lots more to tell feel free to ask me anything.  Nice to meet you all.

thatgirl70
by on Jan. 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Hi JCDMom and Page, nice to meet you both! :)

mscook726
by on Jan. 15, 2011 at 11:58 PM
4 moms liked this

OMGosh finally moms who can relate to me as a mom with a child with this diagnosis, my son Anthony is 5 years old and was diagnosis with a form of autism at 2... since the diagnosis Anthony's progress over the years has improved tremendously... Although we know he has Autism and can tell after being around him,  he is so smart.... i wanna know if there are other moms with an autistic child notices that they are fascinated  with words... my son loves to spell and pronounce words regularly...words i never even knew he knew at all...he also is incredible in working a computer, i mean he can log me out and log himself in...so amazing..

thatgirl70
by on Jan. 16, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Quoting mscook726:

OMGosh finally moms who can relate to me as a mom with a child with this diagnosis, my son Anthony is 5 years old and was diagnosis with a form of autism at 2... since the diagnosis Anthony's progress over the years has improved tremendously... Although we know he has Autism and can tell after being around him,  he is so smart.... i wanna know if there are other moms with an autistic child notices that they are fascinated  with words... my son loves to spell and pronounce words regularly...words i never even knew he knew at all...he also is incredible in working a computer, i mean he can log me out and log himself in...so amazing..

Hello and welcome! My son (3 1/2) has a speech delay so he still has trouble with words, but he's getting better and better. He's really good with his computer games (Nick Jr, Sesame Street) but he's not able to do log in or anything like that (mostly because I don't give him the opportunity to--if I log out it's because I don't want him messing with my computer) and he has not learned to use the keyboard yet (other than typing his name), but I know he will probably have it all hands down probably in the next two years.

PageKing
by on Jan. 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mscook726:

Welcome to the group!  My son also has a huge fascination with anything electronic.  He is 13 know but he could use the computer and any handle held game better than me LOL.  I have seen and read that kids on the spectrum have a world of there own when using electronic and a lot of these children see there own world as what they play on the handle held systems or wii ect.  I deff. see a correlation with my son on this.  everything in his life is copared to his video games.  We have  had to limit the amount of game time and he has to earn minutes but he compares things he does to characters in his games.

[

isotoner
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2011 at 11:53 AM

My name is Teresa.  I have been married to my husband for almost 14 years.  We have two boys.  The oldest, Toby is 8 and has high functioning autism.  He has a full time aide with him at school and seems to be doing well academically.  The younger son may need a little speech therapy when he starts school, but we haven't had any other reason to test him yet.  My husband and I work full time, so it's really challenging to keep things as normal as possible.  My mother-in-law works with him a lot.  I don't think I could work full time without her. 

sclark2007
by on Jan. 18, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Hi!  My name is Sarah.  I am a mommy to 2 children.  My ds is 11 and has been dx'd w/ PDD, NOS, OCD, and DD.  My dd just turned 7.  My ds was dx'd at 4 1/2 yrs old, but I knew way before that, there were problems! : (  I kept on persisting for an answer and I finally got one.  He has came a long way way, but we still have a long way to go.  I never give up, I keep on keeping on though!!  My children are my world!!

thatgirl70
by on Jan. 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting isotoner:

My name is Teresa.  I have been married to my husband for almost 14 years.  We have two boys.  The oldest, Toby is 8 and has high functioning autism.  He has a full time aide with him at school and seems to be doing well academically.  The younger son may need a little speech therapy when he starts school, but we haven't had any other reason to test him yet.  My husband and I work full time, so it's really challenging to keep things as normal as possible.  My mother-in-law works with him a lot.  I don't think I could work full time without her. 

Hi Teresa and welcome! I'm glad your older son is doing well in school. How does his aide assist him?

May I make a suggest about your younger son? How old is he? Look into getting him tested now for speech therapy rather than waiting until he's in school. It will benefit him so much in the long run. Mine began receiving speech therapy services when he was 2 and it has helped him so much. He has gone from being frustrated at not being able to communicate his wants and needs to us to flourishing. He still struggles with some sounds and some words, but he has gotten so much better. I know if we chose to wait, he'd be a very unhappy little boy right now.

thatgirl70
by on Jan. 20, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Quoting sclark2007:

Hi!  My name is Sarah.  I am a mommy to 2 children.  My ds is 11 and has been dx'd w/ PDD, NOS, OCD, and DD.  My dd just turned 7.  My ds was dx'd at 4 1/2 yrs old, but I knew way before that, there were problems! : (  I kept on persisting for an answer and I finally got one.  He has came a long way way, but we still have a long way to go.  I never give up, I keep on keeping on though!!  My children are my world!!

Welcome Sarah! I agree, you have to advocate for your kids, because no one else will (mostly, my son's teachers are willing to advocate for him right alongside me). Keep up the positivity. My son was just diagnosed about 2 weeks ago. The psychologist that diagnosed him said he doesn't see him having a normal productive life, but I refuse to believe that. With the proper therapy, I think he can succeed and go far! :) So will yours! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)