Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to Support Across the Spectrum? Start here!

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Autism: Support Across the Spectrum! You've found a terrific group of supportive women who understand your life as the mom of a kid with Autism, Asperberger's, or another disorder on the spectrum.

Please introduce yourself so other moms can get to know you! Let us know about you, your children, and anything you're interested in learning more about or sharing with the group.

Click here to find help on some of the most common issues facing ASD moms from Diagnosis and Treatment to Meltdowns and Potty Training.

Are you looking for local resources or professional help?  Check out this link: Autism Resources

Plus, tell us your child's birthday so we can post wishes for them on their special day!  If you're interested in learning more about our special kiddos and awesome mommies, you can find out about them here: ☺Super Stars & Moms of the Week!☺ And, just for fun, place yourself on our virtual map and see if anyone lives nearby!  

And don't forget to jump into a discussion or start a post of your own!

Lastly, if you'd like to have your name added beside your avatar, sign up here!

Thank you for being here!

by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM
Replies (671-680):
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Mar. 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Welcome to the Autism: Support Across the Spectrum group, Bev!  It's nice to meet you.  :)

Quoting bevhill:

hi my name is Bev, i have been dealing with 3 boys that have been special in there own way, my oldest Bremden has ADHD and it seems he has 5 things on his mind at all times and it hard to keep up with him, but he's doing great with it.  My middle son, Tyler is my aspergers, pervasive dev. disorder, ADHD, child that doesn't talk much, and i have learned to talk for him it seems, im trying not too now but when he call me and can't say hi or doesn't know how to say something he thinking, i finish his sentences to see if thats what he wants to say.  theres so much more he has a 2nd grade level reading writing spelling but hes18th grade math but cant read through his math.  my youngestson sean has explosive disorder, ADHD, tyroid problems.  i am a single mom with a boyfriend that take care of tyler and sean.  i have had a learning problem as a kid that i finily grew out of at least most of it,  i over worked myself cleaning house while stressed and mest up my neck so bad i have had 2 neck surgerys and am recovering from the 2nd on right now.  my 2 younger boy go to college every day as tyler hasnt  wanted to get a driver licences so sean drive every day my car.  i helped tyler get his permitt, it took 4 times, the 3 and 4 time they read it to him. but not interested to drive mean he cant right now.  the schools alway said he had a special learning problem but would not give me anymore info. when he was in 4th grade he ask me why do you make me go to school if i cant learn, he said that in so much pain.  now that he his to old for county help i get the dianoses, SSI wont even help with this and that not all they are threatning to take my younger sons check away, if that happens i wont even have utility bill money.  as my son got into high school i had to do something he wasnt going to school so we tryed ADHD meds and that was a mircle for him, his mind slowed down enough hear and see education.   but still know it was not all to be fixed, he worked like 9 years in special reading class and still cant read or write any hire then a 2nd grader.  with all this my third son explode offen and had his problem in his early teenage years that got straighten out but he still explodes and he is 6"7' at 400 pound so we cant get close to him when hes mad, 

what do i say about this all everyday thank god i have good kids, and i here to find a way my middle son can live a true full life without this pain one day if i keep looking for the answers,  i love my kid to the bottom of my heart (there was problems in my person family brother and sisters and i dont want my boy to get those problems)

kbaldwin1970
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 2:30 AM

I am concerned about my four year old boy...Asher. He was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder about 10 months ago and is now in therapy through the county we live in. He had scored VERY low in fine and gross motor skills, communication, and social behavior. We have seen some improvement in areas such as verbal communication...but other areas like social behavior we are really struggling with. Asperger's has been hinted at a couple of times and I am wondering how a chld is tested for it, amd whether we should pursue it? If he does have it, how would he be treated for it? Would therapy become more intense?

jmagnusmom
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Hi!  My name is Linn and I'm so thankful for CafeMom.  My son is Jayden and he's 7 1/2.  I'm a bit old to be raising a child but Jayden was our first foster child when he was 14 months old and we pretty much knew that his bio-mom would end up losing her parental rights and that we would adopt him.  When he was 18 months, Jayden was diagnosed with a speech delay.  Our speech therapist thought he might have Autism and explained the spectrum to us. With her help and our amazing social worker, we got him tested at Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital in NH.  He was diagnosed as being somewhere mid-spectrum and non-verbal.  A week later, I had a mastectomy (all cancer was removed!).  The cancer was devastating news but I think the good Lord knew I needed to be around to take care of this little guy.  Eight months later, we finalized the adoption.  Jayden is a happy, go lucky kid who loves Thomas (and all other trains), a whiz on the computer and is learning to speak.  I often tell people that he's non-verbal in 3 languages: English, ASL, and Swedish.  We do some signing and I'm Swedish and know a little but Jayden understands it all!  The "Signing Time" dvd's were great but I found that I had to stand behind Jayden so he could see what the sign looked like from his perspective.  It seemed that he couldn't "reverse" what he was seeing on the dvd!  He's doing really well in school due , in large part, to the fact that he got an iPad (via Rx).  This is the most awesome tool EVER!  I have a cousin who heads the special ed dept in her school district and I told her about the iPads and now they have some!  The program for it called "Proloquo to Go" and the school bought it but it costs around $200-$300..  Well worth it.

michaelmyangel
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Hi Caren it is so nice to meet you. My name is Ashley and I can relate so much to your situation. I am a young mom, 24, of two boys. There is James who just turned 3 March 21st and there is Michael who turned 2 February 26th, they are only 11 months apart. My older boy has hit every milestone with words, numbers etc. Michael is currently in therapy through early intervention where he has a special education teacher who comes to my home and works with him to "play with toys more appropriately", and "help improve eye contact". For example if there was a matchbox car in the toy bin he would dig it out and get self stimulated by moving car from hand to hand turning it over and over, as if he was studying it for the first time, spin the wheels, hold onto it for long periods of time, almost like a fixation.  I decided to fist call Early Intervention because he was speech delayed, and as a mother I seen red flags and wanted to do the best for him. After the initial evaluation, he now receives along with special instruction therapy once a week for a 45 min. session, speech therapy once a week 45 min session, and Occupational Therapy once a week for 45 min. session. I was told that he has sensory seeking issues. For months, almost a year I had to break him out of the habit of picking at his diaper, he would pick peices off, put it in him mouth and sometimes eat it or sometimes get self stimulation off just chewing on peices of it. I now just keep him in outfits where he can not possibily get to his diaper.  I find him constantly picking tiny tiny peices off the floor all day almost like little lint balls that he throws in his mouth and eats them, of course I correct him for this behavior, but it seems I can not break him of that happen, I would need to keep him in my arms all day. He currently has no speech at all but he is making different sounds, he enjoys humming and then getting praise, he loves, loves when people clap for him when he completes puzzles, or jumps on "3". I was wondering if your son is talking at all? Anyway I know I am going on and on so I just want to say it is so nice to finally meet a mom who I feel like I can connect to, please keep me posted because I am currently waiting for an appointment in early June, for a nuerologist, who I am trying to prepare myself for. I question if my son will ever talk, he is very very loving and loves to kiss and run to me when I call his name and get down on my knees with my arms open. He also just started touching the cat who joined our family about a month ago, at his he was very stand offish of the cat, now he will touch its tail and lay next to him on the floor. He is also very very picky of what he eats, he loves pretzels, popcorn, but I can not get him to try anthing I prepare for dinner, feedings are a challenge, but enough for now, I really can go on and on, but hope to talk to you soon, wishing the best for you and so nice to meet you, Ashley.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Welcome!  If you start a new post here in the group, more members will see it and you'll get plenty of answers to your questions.

Quoting kbaldwin1970:

I am concerned about my four year old boy...Asher. He was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder about 10 months ago and is now in therapy through the county we live in. He had scored VERY low in fine and gross motor skills, communication, and social behavior. We have seen some improvement in areas such as verbal communication...but other areas like social behavior we are really struggling with. Asperger's has been hinted at a couple of times and I am wondering how a chld is tested for it, amd whether we should pursue it? If he does have it, how would he be treated for it? Would therapy become more intense?

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Welcome Linn!

That's very cool that Jayden understands Swedish as well as English and ASL!

Quoting jmagnusmom:

Hi!  My name is Linn and I'm so thankful for CafeMom.  My son is Jayden and he's 7 1/2.  I'm a bit old to be raising a child but Jayden was our first foster child when he was 14 months old and we pretty much knew that his bio-mom would end up losing her parental rights and that we would adopt him.  When he was 18 months, Jayden was diagnosed with a speech delay.  Our speech therapist thought he might have Autism and explained the spectrum to us. With her help and our amazing social worker, we got him tested at Dartmouth Hitchcock Hospital in NH.  He was diagnosed as being somewhere mid-spectrum and non-verbal.  A week later, I had a mastectomy (all cancer was removed!).  The cancer was devastating news but I think the good Lord knew I needed to be around to take care of this little guy.  Eight months later, we finalized the adoption.  Jayden is a happy, go lucky kid who loves Thomas (and all other trains), a whiz on the computer and is learning to speak.  I often tell people that he's non-verbal in 3 languages: English, ASL, and Swedish.  We do some signing and I'm Swedish and know a little but Jayden understands it all!  The "Signing Time" dvd's were great but I found that I had to stand behind Jayden so he could see what the sign looked like from his perspective.  It seemed that he couldn't "reverse" what he was seeing on the dvd!  He's doing really well in school due , in large part, to the fact that he got an iPad (via Rx).  This is the most awesome tool EVER!  I have a cousin who heads the special ed dept in her school district and I told her about the iPads and now they have some!  The program for it called "Proloquo to Go" and the school bought it but it costs around $200-$300..  Well worth it.

ACsMommie
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Hi!  I'm new to this board and to this topic.  My 6 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD at age 4, but is now being diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.  He is amazingly bright and fun and the center of my world, but also highly intense and really struggles with otehr kids. 

He is in Kindergarten this year and I am just begining to navigate the process of advocating for services or accomodations at school.  Now that he has a clinical diagnosis, I am trying to get through the process for an educational diagnosis so that he can go into 1st grade next year with supports already in place.

I'm looking forward to connecting with you other moms!

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Welcome!

Quoting ACsMommie:

Hi!  I'm new to this board and to this topic.  My 6 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD at age 4, but is now being diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.  He is amazingly bright and fun and the center of my world, but also highly intense and really struggles with otehr kids. 

He is in Kindergarten this year and I am just begining to navigate the process of advocating for services or accomodations at school.  Now that he has a clinical diagnosis, I am trying to get through the process for an educational diagnosis so that he can go into 1st grade next year with supports already in place.

I'm looking forward to connecting with you other moms!

tsgonecrazy
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Good luck my problem with my 6 yr old son zach is no one can agree with a diagnosis.One doc said he had aspergers and then he went for further testing and they said hes to smart. so we get to pick what doc were going with I hope i choose the right one.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Welcome!

I find that children with Asperger's do tend to be very smart.  But many children have a combination of things going on.

Quoting tsgonecrazy:

Good luck my problem with my 6 yr old son zach is no one can agree with a diagnosis.One doc said he had aspergers and then he went for further testing and they said hes to smart. so we get to pick what doc were going with I hope i choose the right one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)