Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

New to Support Across the Spectrum? Start here!

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Autism: Support Across the Spectrum! You've found a terrific group of supportive women who understand your life as the mom of a kid with Autism, Asperberger's, or another disorder on the spectrum.

Please introduce yourself so other moms can get to know you! Let us know about you, your children, and anything you're interested in learning more about or sharing with the group.

Click here to find help on some of the most common issues facing ASD moms from Diagnosis and Treatment to Meltdowns and Potty Training.

Are you looking for local resources or professional help?  Check out this link: Autism Resources

Plus, tell us your child's birthday so we can post wishes for them on their special day!  If you're interested in learning more about our special kiddos and awesome mommies, you can find out about them here: ☺Super Stars & Moms of the Week!☺ And, just for fun, place yourself on our virtual map and see if anyone lives nearby!  

And don't forget to jump into a discussion or start a post of your own!

Lastly, if you'd like to have your name added beside your avatar, sign up here!

Thank you for being here!

by on Jan. 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM
Replies (851-860):
delynn62
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 9:30 PM

My son is also diagnosed with ADHD< Aspergers, so I do know what your going through.

AidenAngel
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 4:35 PM

New to group. I have custody of my grandson Aiden who is 3. Just diagnosed with ASD and motor & verbal apraxia. He is My little angel, who until he finds his own voice I will be it. Its overwhelming at times and so worth every moment. Looking forward to this wonderful journey with him now that he finally has a dignosis. 

AidenAngel
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

HI I'm Barb. I just joined here today. My grandson Aiden is 3 and has been diagnosed with ASD, SPD and motor and verbal apraxia. He too has a deep fascination in technology. He has been using my Ipad and Iphone since he was about 2. He is beyond smart at his age. He knows and recogonizes all letters of the alphabet, number into to the 30's and shapes and colors. He has recently started writing his name. He doesn't handle peer interaction very well. but will join in on his own terms. He has a stronger connection with adults. He started with Early Intervention at 18 months old. With OT, PT, Speech and special ed. He knows over signs for communication with sign language yet only uses it when prompted. It's been a exciting journey yet overwhelming at times also. I have been raising him since he was 3 months old. His mother isn;t involved in his life. He has a amazing support system in his life. He is a old soul in my mind. He may not speak at all but he knows that words are not needed to let me know what he wants or needs. He loves books and will be read to for hours, if I skip a word he points it out right away. I wonder if he is able to read at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if he did. 

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Welcome to the group!

Quoting AidenAngel:

New to group. I have custody of my grandson Aiden who is 3. Just diagnosed with ASD and motor & verbal apraxia. He is My little angel, who until he finds his own voice I will be it. Its overwhelming at times and so worth every moment. Looking forward to this wonderful journey with him now that he finally has a dignosis. 

suelynn0405
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Hello,

My name is Sue.  I have a 15 year old son diagnosed with Aspergers.  When he was six he was diagnosed with ADHD and Bipolar disorder, which symptoms are very similar to children with Aspergers.  3 years ago he was hospitalized and was diagnosed with Apergers.

I am single parent. His father and I divorced when he was was 4. His father and family still blame me for his behaviours, so it's nice to have a support forum like this one.

dannyzmom
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Hi my name is Debbie. My husband and I have been married for almost 12 years. We have a 7 year old son named Danny. His birthday is August 27th. He has been taking speech therapy since 1st gade. Last year, towards the end of the school year, his speech therapist had recommended that I get him evaluated for Aspergers ( he flaps his ams and jumps when excited ) So I had him evaluated locally and they just looked at him and told me that they thought he just had A.D.D. (which he in fact does have). I eventually made an appointment with UC Davis and their phsychiatrist after two visits infomed us that her diagnosis was that he is a high functioning autistic.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM

welcome It's nice to meet you Sue.  

It's so frustrating that so many conditions mimic the same symptoms as other conditions.  It sure makes a difference though when the right diagnosis is finally achieved.

Quoting suelynn0405:

Hello,

My name is Sue.  I have a 15 year old son diagnosed with Aspergers.  When he was six he was diagnosed with ADHD and Bipolar disorder, which symptoms are very similar to children with Aspergers.  3 years ago he was hospitalized and was diagnosed with Apergers.

I am single parent. His father and I divorced when he was was 4. His father and family still blame me for his behaviours, so it's nice to have a support forum like this one.

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Welcome Debbie!  Happy almost birthday to Danny! :)

Quoting dannyzmom:

Hi my name is Debbie. My husband and I have been married for almost 12 years. We have a 7 year old son named Danny. His birthday is August 27th. He has been taking speech therapy since 1st gade. Last year, towards the end of the school year, his speech therapist had recommended that I get him evaluated for Aspergers ( he flaps his ams and jumps when excited ) So I had him evaluated locally and they just looked at him and told me that they thought he just had A.D.D. (which he in fact does have). I eventually made an appointment with UC Davis and their phsychiatrist after two visits infomed us that her diagnosis was that he is a high functioning autistic.

dannyzmom
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Thanks! :)

AidenAngel
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Morning to my new found friends. This morning Aiden's usual routine went as it always does. He wakes at 6 but has to just lay there for a 1/2 hour before I get him. When he is ready he signals me with 2 loud claps. If he is disturbed before then, his day is in total ruins. His breakfast was his choosing, marshmallows, pretzels, and blueberries. No grape tomatoes today big smile miniThey have been doing roadwork outside my home for over a week now. A few mornings it has woke Aiden and his day has been terrible from it. He had his routine thrown off and he doesn't know how to adapt to it or handle it. At times mostly all I can do is let his rage and try to find his own way back to his comfort zone. I have tried numerous things but to not avail. It's so upsetting and I just want to scream at the world around him and knock them down. Any suggestions on how to make this easier for him. I have tried holding him snuggly, but he isn't affectionate and can not tolerate physical contact very well. Any suggestions would be greatly taken and tried. Thank you all. Have a wonderful day!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)