Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sweating as a sensory issue?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM
  • 6 Replies

I posted earlier today on the journals and am currently at #3 but the only help I've received was being directed here.

My son is five. We've dealt with a lot of sensory issues throughout his life but there's one that I have no idea what to do about and it's one that I've had enough of.

When he sweats, if there's anything touching him, anything at all that makes him feel the sweat, he cries as though he's in pain. It starts out just a whimper and if the issue isn't corrected immediately, quickly works up to screaming.- We're talking like someone is stabbing him or something. It's HORRIBLE.

It can be a shirt touching him, the back of a chair, someone else, even a breeze and he's stripping his clothes off (Okay, so let me be honest, he hates most clothes anyhow if they're not uber soft.) and begging to go inside.

As parents, you know I can't keep him in his undies at home in a dark, cool room for his entire life... But this has made recess nearly impossible when the weather gets warm, PE difficult a lot of days. (They're in an AC'd gym.) And riding in the car? FORGET IT. You can see him start to cringe before you've even opened the door.

I just... need suggestions. Have any of you dealt with this? Seen someone else dealing with it? With warm weather right around then bend, I'm already cringing inwardly. He wants to go on vacation.. He knows we go on vacation every year but frankly, I'm not even up for a trip to the grocery store, nevermind six or nine hours with this. Traveling is hard enough without him screaming because his back is touching the seat and it's making him sweat... which apparently.. hurts.

Sorry to go on like this. Help? Anyone?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mallowcup17
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:37 PM

bump

merna
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Has he ever received OT therapy for his Tactile Sensory especially the Brush Technique.  That is what I would recommend.  Lots of people have tremendous results with that type of sensory.  I never saw much difference with my DS using the brush therapy but ne never really had extreme sensory to touch except for on his hands and his OT therapist "cured" that within the first few sessions.  

My DS gets very upset when the sun is shining right on him and also when hot but he does not allow the windows down and he also gets cold easily.  But usually I can control that with turning on air/heat and keeping extra blankets.  

But I think good tactile sensory therapy will help a lot and then you will need to adjust evertything else.  Also you may want to look in sports stores for the breatheable type clothing. Like Nike etc they are very expensive but the do pull moisture away from the body and allow for air circulation.  

Merna 

PageKing
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM
I agree with merna. I think that would help a lot. We used it with my son when he was younger it helped. I tried to research the sweating issue for you and could find nothing except diseases. Which I know its not that but def a sensory issue. I will continue to do some research for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Corinne770
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 2:54 PM

My son did the same thing the first three years of his life! He only would sleep a couple of hour's a night and would wake up sweaty and crying. No one would listen to me. I cried and felt so frustrated because I knew something was hurting him. I found a doctor that sent us to a occupaional therapist. My son now can go to a Walmart and in public. We can go out to eat. He laugh's more. When thing's are bothering him to much at home he will actually put a pillow on top of him because of "his" sensory issues. I read that occuptional therapy helps a small person for later in life like jobs, relationships, even marriage one day also in public. My son will need 2 to 3 year's. He is now 7 yrs old. I started him a year ago now. Our family is slowly getting back and still have a way to go. He also recieves speech at the same place. One hour of each. He gets both now at his public school. They allow me to pull him out at 12:15 to have him at the other school by 12:30 so he gets it twice in one day. I hope this helps. 

He alway's had sensory issues and some autism. He went in for an operation he was toung tied we had to get it clipped for him. The versed caused a chemical reaction making his autism worse.  

Corinne770
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 3:07 PM

one more thing that I have read and heard the younger the better that you can start getting help with O/T. My son's doctor just said yesterday that his patients in occupational therapy really benefit from this. Medicaid does cover it. When my son first started school last year he would have sensory issues that made school rough for him. I heard he still cries a little. I think second grade of next year will finally be somewhat better for him. I haven't seen him sweat in his sleep or during the day for about six months now! I pray your your does the same. I don't know if it's the occupational therapy or his age. He had a sensory melt down yesterday so I'm still not totally out of the clear. Will that little temper melt down ever go away?

briansmom123
by on Feb. 12, 2011 at 10:28 AM

One of the many sensory issues with autism can be sensitivty to cold or hot.  They are super senisitive to these issues, if the room is just a tiny bit warm they begin to freak out, same with cold.   My suggestion is work to find clothes that they like, very soft tshirts or pants.  The combination of scratchy clothes and temperature senitivty can be very uncomfortable for them. They are not in true pain as we would think of it but very uncomfortalbe.  My advice work to find clothes that they like the feeling of and maybe keep a fan  availbale for them.  Hope that helps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)