Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism and SSI

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM
  • 32 Replies

Does your autistic child receive SSI? Is he or she on medication? Do they have certain requirements? I was on SSI several years ago for hearing impairment, but I was not on medication.

Not saying I'm going to apply for SSI for him (at least not anytime soon), but I'm just curious how it's usually handled.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mallowcup17
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

i'm not sure of the specific requirements but i have heard its hard to obtain. the social security website has an outline for it but i am sure its more than just black and white of that...its a good question especially for those who may need assistance with services and medicines and those kinds of things that can be very costly.

thatgirl70
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Quoting mallowcup17:

i'm not sure of the specific requirements but i have heard its hard to obtain. the social security website has an outline for it but i am sure its more than just black and white of that...its a good question especially for those who may need assistance with services and medicines and those kinds of things that can be very costly.

I was wondering about that. Since I know that not all insurance companies will cover the medicine. I'd rather my son not be medicated if I can help it (and we're a long way before finding any of that stuff out), but I was curious how it worked out. Thanks for your input! :)

mallowcup17
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:03 AM

honestly i am to the point of despising the fact that sd is medicated. we just got even more news that is less than good about what's going on in that area  :( so ya.

its a tough thing. 

Quoting thatgirl70:

Quoting mallowcup17:

I was wondering about that. Since I know that not all insurance companies will cover the medicine. I'd rather my son not be medicated if I can help it (and we're a long way before finding any of that stuff out), but I was curious how it worked out. Thanks for your input! :)

WildCat73
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:57 PM

my friends son was getting it for ADHD , but now he also has a autism diagnosis . i told ehr to make sure to keep records so she can prove to them other then that i am not sure. if it weren't for medicaid i would not know what i would do for my Daughter. hubby only makes so much a month.

Amy385
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I filed for SSI when our family was struggiling beyond struggiling. I knew my not autistic son qualified since birth due to all his problems and as he aged he was diagnoised with epilepsy & very bad asthma... While we filed for him we took a chance with Bryan...

They said that it was the fact we had EVERYTHING documented from his school workings (showing that he was on the typical learning scale as a child with autism, all over the charts, nothing consistant), & a neurologist that diagnoised him & a behavioral pediatrician whos been seeing him since he was 3 & notes of his development since birth was ALL submitted to prove he is not "normal" and can not function day-2-day...

So both my kids have SSI... If the baby has autism we might but might not apply... We're stable with the boys SSI but if we were to hit it worse we might...

Its harder to win a case with SSI over autism when theres not much "proof" it gets easier once tehy're school aged & you have more documented proof that he has autism besides a Drs say so...

Amy385
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 1:16 PM

that had to be a fight in a half for ADHD, i know b4 Bryan was in school SSI had denied him for autism ADHD...

Quoting WildCat73:

my friends son was getting it for ADHD , but now he also has a autism diagnosis . i told ehr to make sure to keep records so she can prove to them other then that i am not sure. if it weren't for medicaid i would not know what i would do for my Daughter. hubby only makes so much a month.

~*Very proud Mama to Bryan, Kevin, & Mason!*~

Corinne770
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I have been through this with SSI. When you go to apply bring in as many papers of proof that you can as I was told to do. I brought his IEP in from kindergarden diagnose, his proof that he is getting o/t and speech, any papers of proof. I had a bundle with me- as much as you can find. I don't work as of right now- waiting for my son to get on after school o/t and speech than I can work while he is in school. The school let's me pull him out of school at 12:15 to go to his other school of speech and o/t so he get those classes in reg school and at the other school. One hour with each class. I get childsupport. My money is very tight right now as it never has been. SSI said to report any increased childsupport or wages. I get 494.00 a month. It sounds like when I go to work SSI will go away. 

By the way-The OT/ and Speech class is covered by medicad. 

Times are tough right now. I don't like telling my biz, but I hope someone can get something out of this to my experences so far. He has medium autism do to versed after his operation two year's ago. I pray that he can at least get up to high function autism- aspergers  would make me really happy. Anyway I'm open if anyone wants to ask me anything. Good luck to you all and God bless!

Juniper53098
by on Feb. 13, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I have no experience with getting SSI for autism, but I do know others who've gotten it.  They usually deny you the 1st time.  You have to keep fighting.  As PP's have said, bring as much documentation as you can get your hands on.

My son was denied the medicaid autism waiver because he is too high functioning.  So, there's no way he'd qualify for SSI.

mr.scariesmommy
by on Mar. 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM
I just applied my son for ssi. He has autism and moderate mental retardation. Things are really hard trying to provde for him and his baby brother. Im just worried that they wont approve him. He is still diapers and wearing a size seven costs fifty a box.So I really hope he gets approved. Just have to play the waiting game now.
gogetem
by on Mar. 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Everything that was stated.  Also, if your child has medical insurance, they automatically (in almost all cases) only give you $30 plus whatever the state gives you (Ca is around $60).    Military insurance is what I have, and it sucks.  It won't cover my son's formula that he needs because of extreme food resistance..  We were praying we would get approved for SSI to pay for it, but all the trouble almost feels like it was for nothing.  They didn't tell us about the insurance thing until after the fact.  I understand the principal behind it, but now I'm left resenting military insurance for not helping my boy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)