Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can your child tell you when they are hurt??

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:58 AM
  • 25 Replies

Another post made by mommy1245 about this got me thinking........

Dean has meltdown and screams and cries over everyday things but when he's really hurt he doesn't make a sound.  That's how I know something is up because he gets REAL quiet.  The worst one happened this year at school and no one ever knew until I called.

Dean came home and while he was changing into his play clothes aka his nightshirt, I noticed something dark on his underwear.  I thought is was poop and went to take his underwear off and noticed that it was the front too! wow I thought, BUT it looked weird, and as I looked harder at it I noticed it was blood and my mind went into overdrive thinking he had blood in his poop but then I realized it was ALL blood, no poop just blood.  I immediately started to look over his body, starting with his butt and moving to the front and that's when I saw it.  He had a horizontal gash on the front of his penis.  I was like.... what the f*ck is that??????  and my hubby looked at it and and I yelled to take him to the ER, so hubby picks him up and runs out the door (we put clothes back on him).  The blood was dry so it had happened in the morning time.  So while they are gone I called the school (thinking maybe he cut himself with scissors or something) and asked to speak to his special teacher, she wasn't there anymore, but his reg. teacher was and she ran to the phone and I told her what I saw and asked how it happened.  She said that a girl was helping Dean with scissors but that they were the dull kind, but she would ask her if something had happened when school starts the next day.  Now all I can think about is this girl asked to see his boy parts and then cut them, and now I'm concerned about HER home life.  Well after a while hubby calls me (I was on the phone with my best friend freaking out at this point) and says it looks like a tare NOT A CUT....thank GOD on that part.  She didn't cut him, but NOW what had happened???  His special ED teacher called me from her personal phone and we talked about what I saw and we picked apart Dean's day, and we went over EVERYTHING and I asked her....."did Dean seem extra quiet at all during the day?"  and she thought for a minute and said yes actually he did.  When he came out of the bathroom.  (We've been teaching Dean to stand up while he pees) AND well come to find out when Dean went to go to the bathroom he was standing to pee and the toilet seat fell down and pinched him down there and tore some skin and he NEVER said anything to anybody and just went on about his day!!  My poor baby.  I still cringe when I think about it, and we've told him several times since then (to try to make it stick in his head) that if he gets hurt that it's ok to tell a teacher. They helped us by putting his medicine on it (ONLY his special ED teacher and she put in on there with a Q-tip, and yes I do trust her, only her) and after about a month it finally healed all the way.  He had a scar now, but I guess it's a great opening line for the ladies when he gets older.....LOLOL   

Has your child done something like this too, where they get hurt but deal with the pain and you don't find out until later????

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
got3under4
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:20 AM

My asd son is completely non verbal and he will be 4 march 29th.. he started running a temp today, it got to 104 and now were in the hospital :( even when its not serious I can't take chances because I don't realy know how he feels :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shell3m
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Quoting got3under4:

My asd son is completely non verbal and he will be 4 march 29th.. he started running a temp today, it got to 104 and now were in the hospital :( even when its not serious I can't take chances because I don't realy know how he feels :(

OH NO!!  Oh my goodness, I hope he gets better REAL soon mama!  ((((hugs))))  Please keep us updated I'll be worried about him and I'll be keeping him my prayers.  We had to do the same thing about 2 years ago with my middle son (my normal one but he was so young that he didn't really talk) and he was playing and not even coughing and was just having a great day and then during a 24 hour period he just went down hill very fast.  Would eat, would drink and then started throwing up and finally just got real listful.  We had called the ER and they said to bring him and then they transported us to a bigger hospital with a Children wing and we were there for a few days.  I've never been so scared in my life.  I slept in his bed with him and of course hubby had to stay home with Dean (my youngest wasn't born yet).  I held him the whole time and he got better in about a week.  thank goodness he's never been that sick again. 

Beth_1978
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Awwww. Poor little guy! I hope he is ok!

Beth_1978
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:34 AM

When Cody gets extremely upset, he will start to cry, and run upstairs and throw up on my bed. When Simon gets upset, he is more quiet like your son is.

shell3m
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Quoting Beth_1978:

he's fine now it happened a few months ago, but now we don't press him to stand while he pees.  He can sit down all he wants. :) 

Beth_1978
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:42 AM

I am so glad your little man is alright. And, I agree I wouldn't press the standing up issue either after hearing that. In fact, we have been trying to get Simon to stand, and I am not going to press it anymore, and if my husband tries to press, permission to tell him the store you told me?

Quoting shell3m:

Quoting Beth_1978:

he's fine now it happened a few months ago, but now we don't press him to stand while he pees.  He can sit down all he wants. :) 

shell3m
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:46 AM

you are more than welcome to.  :)  I don't mind at all and thank you for asking first that was so nice.  :)

Quoting Beth_1978:

I am so glad your little man is alright. And, I agree I wouldn't press the standing up issue either after hearing that. In fact, we have been trying to get Simon to stand, and I am not going to press it anymore, and if my husband tries to press, permission to tell him the store you told me?

Quoting shell3m:

Quoting Beth_1978:

got3under4
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:10 AM
And Omg! I would freak out shell.. my son constantly pulls and messes with his weener, I've had him evaluated over it, the therapist says he feels good doing it and its comforting, not weird or sexual, but it bothers my husband and I because he doesn't understand when and where the appropriate places are to do it.. if I thought for a second his teacher was a weirdo I'd be crazy! God bless u and your family.. poor guy.. I'm teaching tj to pee sitting down.. lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
got3under4
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:13 AM
Were fine, he has strep :( so sad poor baby :( I never would've known had the fever not come on.. he's got some antibiotics and motion.. sleep should work.. thanks for the love!

Quoting shell3m:

Quoting got3under4:

OH NO!!  Oh my goodness, I hope he gets better REAL soon mama!  ((((hugs))))  Please keep us updated I'll be worried about him and I'll be keeping him my prayers.  We had to do the same thing about 2 years ago with my middle son (my normal one but he was so young that he didn't really talk) and he was playing and not even coughing and was just having a great day and then during a 24 hour period he just went down hill very fast.  Would eat, would drink and then started throwing up and finally just got real listful.  We had called the ER and they said to bring him and then they transported us to a bigger hospital with a Children wing and we were there for a few days.  I've never been so scared in my life.  I slept in his bed with him and of course hubby had to stay home with Dean (my youngest wasn't born yet).  I held him the whole time and he got better in about a week.  thank goodness he's never been that sick again. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:16 AM
Im sorry for ur son.
I know when mines hurt. he not only screams his head off, he makes me rub his boo boo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)