Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Go with your gut feeling

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:14 AM
  • 6 Replies

Thank you allmom122. I thought I would borrow that quote from you from one of your replies.

There are so many ways this phrase holds true, you don't feel comfortable with your child's sitter, you think "maybe isn't a good day to drive," or you wonder is there something wrong with my child, should I get him tested, should I just let it go?

When I read posts from other mothers (different forums on CM, or on Facebook groups, or wherever) describing their child's behaviors, and asking other mothers what they should do, I can't help but want to tell them "Get him evaluated," particularly if the signs she's decribing remind me of what I've learned about autism. I always state "You've wasted nothing by finding out, and if there is an issue, you can now arm yourself with knowledge."

I know of course with kids, many kids, it's just an age thing and they'll grow out of it. But I think early intervention never ever hurts anyone and if you wonder "is this normal?" but don't do anything about it, the one hurt is your child.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
navyjen
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I agree 100%.

mallowcup17
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:03 PM

i agree!

brknangel
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:10 PM

ABSOLUTELY! I made a great mistake listening to her doctor back when she was 18 months old...telling me that it was all "normal". I learned from my mistake and I think my daughter paid the price.

ShadowRaven
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Absolutely! I don't know how many moms I've said that too. The one and ONLY time that I've ever gone against my gut (not in relation to my son), I regretted it. I won't do it again, regardless of the situation.

thatgirl70
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:24 PM

BUMP!

shell3m
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Quoting brknangel:

ABSOLUTELY! I made a great mistake listening to her doctor back when she was 18 months old...telling me that it was all "normal". I learned from my mistake and I think my daughter paid the price.

I did the same thing with Dean's doctor and of course I learned better for my younger too but now Dean will never be same and I'll never forgive myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)