Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Help getting my 2 autistic boys to go to School?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:10 PM
  • 5 Replies

New to this forum and I am in need of some help.  I have a 10 year old with PDD and an 8 year old with Aspergers and it is a struggle everyday to get them to School.  My 10 year old has done better but has those days when he won't go.  My 8 year old refuses to go, if I get him out of the car he tries to run after me, if I can get him to stay the School calls within a couple hours saying he is hitting and kicking and running away you have to come get him.  I got so tired of doing that everyday.  The School finally suggested to keep him home until his medication kicks in and he can return and stay.  What am I going to do, I live 40 minutes from a large city and don't have a lot of choices for good Schools.  Any suggestions?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
greenskittlessp
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:16 PM

You need to call an IEP and get a behavior plan set up. They need to be educating him not feeding into his issues and sending him home daily.

heathers5500
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Get an IEP with a behavior plan, ask for a one on one aide, if the school will not provide you with what you are asking for get an advocate to speak for you, once you get an advocate schools are likely to give you what your child needs

shell3m
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I agree with other women.  With that you can have the school work with you on what's best for them and they will get what they need from school.  Dean does half spec. class and half reg. class and it works great for him.  Please keep us updated on how it goes mama, or write to us if you have any questions,  ok?  ((hugs))

Beth_1978
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I am considering homeschooling my kids next yr. I am doing a trial run this summer to see if it will work, and if we all do well and my boys are happier, I will continue on next yr. That said, I did ensure the boys have spots next yr in case this summer they are unhappy or don't do well with me as their teacher. You could always do a trial this summer and just see how it goes.

my2boysjw
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I agree have an IEP meeting. Do either of them have a support aide/person with them at school. Maybe there is a problem with them. Could they take him to another room to calm down? I know that my son would figure a way to come home sometimes but once we caught on that didn't work anymore so after once or twice of not coming home he stopped using it. I don't homeschool but I know some who have for different reasons & it worked well for them. I will keep you in my prayers as you work through this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)