Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

April is also...

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM
  • 8 Replies

National Grilled Cheese Month!

Maybe we can come together and come up with a BLUE Grilled Cheese recipe?

Get an early start on National Grilled Cheese Month

By LISA KAPPS

Double_Cheddar_And_Tomato_Jam.jpg
Laura Werlin's Double Cheddar and Tomato Jam sandwich has cheddar both inside the filling and baked into the toasty crust. SUBMITTED PHOTO

Grilled cheese - crispy on the outside, goey on the inside, delicious throughout - is a perfect comfort food.

And author Laura Werlin is releasing a new cookbook celebrating grilled cheese, "Grilled Cheese, Please!"

So kick off National Grilled Cheese Month - April - early  by making your favorite grilled cheese.

(My favorite is very simple: swiss cheese on swirled pumpernickle and rye bread).

Or try one of Werlin's recipes: Double Cheddar and Tomato Jam grilled cheese.

She describes the sandwich as a riff on grilled cheese and tomato soup (or a more haute version of the old stand-by grilled cheese and tomato.)

The tomato jam sounds easy to make and delicious - and since it can be made up to a week ahead you can keep it in the fridge and use it on toast, with cheese and crackers, or on top of roasted meats.

If you don't want to make the tomato jam (or are waiting for fresh, local tomatoes), try local organic farm Three Goat Farm's Tomato-Basil Jam, available locally at Tom's Natural Food Store in Clinton or now through Food Shed Buying Club. It's fantastic.

Double Cheddar & Tomato Jam

from Grilled Cheese, Please! by Laura Werlin

12 ounces Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese

4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature

8 sandwich-size slices sourdough

6 tablespoons Tomato Jam (see recipe)

Directions: Using the very small holes of a box grater or other similar-size grating device, finely grate 6 ounces of the Cheddar. Place the cheese in a small bowl. Add the butter and, using the back of a fork, mash the mixture until the cheese is well incorporated into the butter.

Using the large holes of a box grater or other similar-size grating device, grate the remaining cheese.

Spread the Cheddar-butter mixture on one side of each of the bread slices.

Place 4 slices of bread, buttered side down, on your work surface.  Spread 1½ tablespoons of jam on each slice. Distribute the cheese, and top with remaining bread slices, buttered side up.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over a medium heat for 2 minutes. Put the sandwiches into the pan, cover, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Turn the sandwiches, pressing each one firmly with a spatula to flatten slightly. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the undersides are well browned (watch carefully because the cheese on the outside of the bread can darken quickly). Turn the sandwiches once more, press firmly with the spatula again, cook for 1 minute, and remove from the pan. Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut in half and serve.

Tomato Jam

6 large ripe tomatoes (about 1 ½ pounds) peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (use Roma tomatoes if it isn’t tomato season)

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

2 1/2 tablespoons sugar (if you’re making this in the middle of tomato season when tomatoes are at their sweetest, reduce the sugar by 1 to 2 teaspoons)

Salt

To make the jam: Place all the ingredients in a medium-size saucepan over medium-low heat. The mixture should bubble ever so slightly but not boil. Cook for about 1 hour, or until the jam has thickened and most of the liquid has evaporated. Let cool.  (You can make this up to 1 week in advance. Store in the refrigerator).

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Schleetle
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Yum, yum... I'll have to think of something for the blue grilled cheese.

mallowcup17
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:27 PM

yeah i keep seeing a blue grilled cheese but i don't just want like food dye(eww), also blue fries lol...then we should challenge each other to make it and post pics :)

mallowcup17
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:18 PM

bump

Schleetle
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I have to go grocery shopping tomorrow... My son has been asking for grilled cheese with apple so I'll look to see what else I can do. Too bad apples don't come in blue. lol

Homeschoolmom99
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I know no food dye so what about blueberry bread? No wait that would come out purple hmm

mallowcup17
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 1:33 PM

i was thinking blueberry something too...

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

I know no food dye so what about blueberry bread? No wait that would come out purple hmm

mallowcup17
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 11:46 PM

If I can get a hold of Blue Potatos I am going to make blue french fries :) now just to figure out how to do the blue sandwich...

i think in the next few days i am going to make a blue foods post and move on from there :)

shell3m
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 12:10 AM

oh man! this is great!!  I don't know how appetizing a blue sandwich will look though...lol, but if you ladies figure out something I will try it.  I'm game!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)