Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:00 AM
  • 3 Replies

My son was diagnosed at 6 with Aspergers. He is now 15.  We have had our struggles with meds and therapy. He had a Dr appointment yesterday and was his usual cheerful self! After we both spoke with him he ask him to leave the room and wanted to know how long he had been that irritable. Honestly its been a while! I just assumed it was because my husband and I have cracked down on his use of the computer and video games. He can only use the computer for homework and nothing else. We are trying to get him to focus on school. instead of being obsessed with games. 

But the Dr wants to put him on Prozac.  I just wanted to see if any other parents have had this dilemma. I know the side effects of the drug, but we are torn about outting him on anither anti depressant. We did try zoloft when he was 11 which did not go so well.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Marcy_182
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:04 AM

You know him best, you love him the most, if you r not comfortable giving him more medications DONT DO IT. You still have to parent them the same way, no computer means no computer, maybe give him a break on weekends and let him play.

Hope everything goes well. :)

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Welcome to the group. I don't know much about medications for children but I myself take prozak and it has helped me alot. 

so Here is a BUMP!

RochelleFS
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:23 AM

If you are unsure about meds, can the doctors recommend an alternative? I would talk with the doctor and express your concern that he had a negative reaction to meds in the past. Antidepressants can have unusual responses in teens and young adults. As a teen(17) I was put on zoloft and prozac due to anxiety after my mom passed. It made me very depressed, moody and suicidal. I react negatively to many types of medicines also. Everything from birthcontrol, asthma medication andpain medicine, even antibiotics. I now only take meds when absolutely necessary. Every one's chemistry is different. You know your son best. Sometimes you gotta just trust you gut.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)