Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Using Music - Any Ideas?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM
  • 21 Replies

When my son was about 3, he began expanding into pop music. Thank goodness, because Barney and Elmo were making us crazy!!

In spite of the occasional questionable lyric, it was a godsend. We used the Kidz Bop series of CDs (which are scrubbed clean of most trouble spots) and that increased the love -- hearing the kids' voices was really thrilling to him.  

We began using more music in our therapy, expanding from things like "Freeze Dance" and the "Clean Up" song into more current stuff and trying to get creative. We taught "Hi My Name Is..." with Slim Shady, "Put Your Hands Up" with the Black Eyed Peas, and Left and Right with Beyonce's "Irreplaceable."

Just listening to the music and dancing together promoted great eye contact and sustained engagement, and best of all it was big, big fun. 

We moved on to teaching Yes/No with songs like Taylor Swift's "It's a Love Story (Baby Just Say Yes)" and "Bohemian Rhapsody." Songs that involve counting are also a huge success. 

Have you found any creative ways to use music with your kids? Share with me please! I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate it because it is such a joy. 

Susan Walton, author and mom
follow me on twitter, swalton47

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shell3m
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:47 PM

That's a great and fun time with music.  I was thinking about buying those cd's too.  :)

SusanWalton
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:00 PM

If you have Comcast On Demand (cable service), look under the Kids category because Kidz Bop also has a channel there with music videos -- kids singing and dancing, sometimes a simple story line. Seems to be something very compelling (for my son), the kids singimg right at the camera, almost like they are singing just to him. :) 

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM

My son likes music too, we dance together and it's just another way to engage with him :)

PageKing
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:54 PM
My SS loves music! His primary music is the tunes from his Zelda video games. I have download almost all and even bought some cd's from China. The music is all instrumental but he loves it. My husband has introduce him to Metallica which I was not happy about but it gives them something to enjoy together!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:57 PM

My son loves music. One song that really helped him with learning to speak was ... ack! It's by the Black Eyed Peas and dang the title has left me..."gotta get that..." are part of the lyrics. Oh yeah, Boom Boom Pow. He started mimicking some of the lyrics. At the time, he wasn't able to say more than 2 words at a time, so it was really a breakthrough for him.

But I hadn't thought of using music as teaching. That's very interesting!

Shabbydoll78
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:05 PM

We are big music fans in this house ! I realised long ago that my seven year old with aspergers can identify a  band by the first few cords of a song. If she has never heard the song, but is familiar with the band , she just needs to hear the voice and can then tell you who it is.   Music has helped her focus and concentrate. Plus, it has expanded her vocabulary. She is particularly fond of Elvis Costello. I do believe it is the rich word play that seems to hold her captivated. She also loves the Beatles, which she insists on listening to while doing almost any form of art.

SusanWalton
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Quoting thatgirl70:

My son loves music. One song that really helped him with learning to speak was ... ack! It's by the Black Eyed Peas and dang the title has left me..."gotta get that..." are part of the lyrics. Oh yeah, Boom Boom Pow. He started mimicking some of the lyrics. At the time, he wasn't able to say more than 2 words at a time, so it was really a breakthrough for him.

The Black Eyed Peas have a certain magic something, I have to say. My son loves them, especially their first album which he knew start to finish. So much so that when they came to town, we got tickets. My son was definitely the only six year old in the audience that night -- and at first he was overwhelmed by the size of the crowd. But when the band started playing and he recognized the music, he lit up. He got the hugest smile! The opening act was the Pussycat Dolls, and believe it or not, they were a big favorite of his too. (He learned to do and undo buttons by playing games with their "Loosen Up My Buttons.")

We stayed for the PCD act and the first BEP set (which included his big favorites "Let's Get It Started" and "Where is the Love") and then we claimed victory and exited the field. The next day we made collages with band images we printed from the internet and showed them to his therapists and danced to the favorites.  

A really nice thing about this interest in popular music has been the social benefit to liking what other people like. Our therapists have always tended to be young people who are totally charmed by his love of the same music they like, and as he grows up his peers at school have caught up too. It is very appropriate and very connecting. So I've been glad that (in spite of the craziness of a 6 year old loving the Pussycat Dolls) that he led us into this interest, which is something we all can enjoy together.

I know not all parents would approve but it has been a very good thing for us!

Susan Walton, author and mom
follow me on twitter, swalton47

thatgirl70
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Quoting SusanWalton:

Quoting thatgirl70:

The Black Eyed Peas have a certain magic something, I have to say. My son loves them, especially their first album which he knew start to finish. So much so that when they came to town, we got tickets. My son was definitely the only six year old in the audience that night -- and at first he was overwhelmed by the size of the crowd. But when the band started playing and he recognized the music, he lit up. He got the hugest smile! The opening act was the Pussycat Dolls, and believe it or not, they were a big favorite of his too. (He learned to do and undo buttons by playing games with their "Loosen Up My Buttons.")

We stayed for the PCD act and the first BEP set (which included his big favorites "Let's Get It Started" and "Where is the Love") and then we claimed victory and exited the field. The next day we made collages with band images we printed from the internet and showed them to his therapists and danced to the favorites.  

A really nice thing about this interest in popular music has been the social benefit to liking what other people like. Our therapists have always tended to be young people who are totally charmed by his love of the same music they like, and as he grows up his peers at school have caught up too. It is very appropriate and very connecting. So I've been glad that (in spite of the craziness of a 6 year old loving the Pussycat Dolls) that he led us into this interest, which is something we all can enjoy together.

I know not all parents would approve but it has been a very good thing for us!

First I just realized I was following you on my Twitter account. I admit I don't log in much there, but I did the other day and had gotten a return Follower request from you in reply to mine, LOL. I need to log in more and check out your Tweets!

But I definitely agree that there is something about the BEPs, maybe that's why they seem to be so popular with children. They have good beats and their videos are usually fairly innovative (I should mention that my boy also loves Imma Be because it has robots).

Very interested though in learning how to help him figure out things, kwim? I mean using 'Buttons' to teach yours to learn to button and unbutton is awesome. I'm trying to do the same with my 4 year old. How'd you do it?

He starts OT next week. I'm curious if his therapist will be incorporating music as well. DH will be the one taking him however so I won't have a first-hand view of what goes on.

dezandry
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:19 PM

My 4 year old son loves music. He has always loved jazz since he was 2. He also likes classical and since he was a baby I always put it on. I take him to the music concerts at the park in the summer here every saturday they have a different style of music its pretty cool. I would look into seeing if your city has any events that are music related. I also got him in a music and dance class too he loved it and had so much fun but he's not in it anymore. I'm thinking of putting him in a dance class. He loves watching "So you think you can dance", I can't wait for next season. He would literally watch it and critique the pieces, it was amazing to watch him just look at the dancers. He likes the Just Dance games on the wii, he asks for the songs he wants me to put on, he doesn't know how to dance to the steps but he loves music. There is also a disney sing a long for the wii but I haven't tried it he's too young for it right now. My son also asks for videos on you tube. He likes disney movies so we listen to some songs there and also songs from disneyland since that is his favorite place to go. There are also sing a long songs that are fun to watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/unclejimboy

I want to get him an mp3 player so he can listen to his favorite songs, but I also have some on my phone and when we are out like at a restaurant or place where we have to wait long I let him listen to some you tube videos. He will ask me which ones he wants. Also now he's really into the darth vader imperial march since he heard the superbowl commercial lol, he loves the music.

Peter and the wolf I love that one for music it narrates the different characters. My son also loves it too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILI3s7Wonvg

Some cable providers have music stations I love that one too. It has a good variety of different genres of songs and usually they are a bit more clean then just on the radio.

Also a fun way to use music is with musical instruments of all kinds, pianos, drums, harmonicas,  those toy microphones, maraccas, anything you have and if not you can even make them and play like youre in a band to a song that they like. My ds loves playing on the piano. He even has a toy guitar he still loves from when he was younger and I got him a djembe drum. Just recently he asked for his drum and then I put some djembe drumming music on you tube and he LOVED that...maybe a little too much, but I think thats great and kids learn so much through observation!

philipmommy4834
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM

My two year old loves music.  We go to a group music class weekly then we listen to the music in the car.  I ask him to sing songs instead of counting.  Many times it works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)