Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are your little quirks?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM
  • 11 Replies

What are some things about you that do that may seem a little odd, maybe a little OCD?

When I was a kid (up through my teens at least), I would count things, and I always had to come out with an even number. I would say a phrase in my head and then count the words or the letters. I mean it wasn't like an everyday thing I did, something that interfered with my everyday life, I'd just have these weird moments I guess. I would also mentally trace lines on our TV set. Like I'd do the square, or the zig-zag or x shapes. That sort of thing. I don't do this stuff now, but I do remember it very clearly.

If you touch any spot on my body, you have to touch the opposite side as well. Like DH grabs one butt cheek, I insist he grab the other one too, LOL. Or if I get one foot wet, the other foot has to get wet too (well, that doesn't apply if I accidentally step into a 6 inch slush puddle in the middle of winter...).

I can't stand to listen to the sound of the TV or music unless it's coming through my headphones (the exception being when I'm in the car, then I don't mind it). I can't stand having the volume up on the TV and I hate when DH refuses to use his headphones when he's watching stuff on his computer. There's just something about it that grates on me (kind of wonder if my boy gets his audio sensory issues from me). There's something about the headphones that I find soothing.

I've never liked the feeling of jewelry on my skin. Even my wedding rings I have a hard time with (that goes double when my hands are dry/chapped/cracked--especially my knuckles). I even take them off when I get home. I also don't like the feeling of some of my clothes on my skin. Either they'll feel too tight (and maybe the are, LOL) or I don't know, can't really explain it. I like to have a blanket covering my legs most of the time, even when I might not be that cold. And you know how cats like to rub up on your legs? I hate it, I don't like the feeling of something rubbing on my leg like that and I get pissed at my cat when he does it. Seriously, that has to be some kind of sensory issue, you think?

Just kind of wondering if my son's sensory issues are things that he may have genetically picked up from me? I know too that DH has mentioned having issues with his hearing if we're in a busy place. He has trouble sorting out the background noise from the conversation. His hearing is otherwise perfectly normal however.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thatgirl70
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM

BUMP!

thatgirl70
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:19 PM

No one?

mallowcup17
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:45 PM

i have to shake my food or drink before i eat or drink it...

i never even noticed it until our youngest started doing it, and i noticed it and pointed it out in front of my dad and he said that i had ALWAYS done that. 

RochelleFS
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:23 PM

I'm extremely sound sensitive and also sensitive to light and smells. Gave me anxiety attacks as a kid and teen. I have often thought the same. I certainly understand DD's sensory issues.

thatgirl70
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Quoting mallowcup17:

i never even noticed it until our youngest started doing it, and i noticed it and pointed it out in front of my dad and he said that i had ALWAYS done that. 

That is interesting! Has he or she ever seen you do it before?

thatgirl70
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Quoting RochelleFS:

I'm extremely sound sensitive and also sensitive to light and smells. Gave me anxiety attacks as a kid and teen. I have often thought the same. I certainly understand DD's sensory issues.

Is it better for you now? Have you learned to cope with it, or do you still have problems with it?

mallowcup17
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:17 PM

she probably has, my dad says i still do it all the time. lol. gotta love when my dad points something out like that and now everytime i eat or drink i sit and think about it lol

Quoting thatgirl70:

Quoting mallowcup17:

That is interesting! Has he or she ever seen you do it before?

RochelleFS
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Quoting thatgirl70:

Quoting RochelleFS:

Is it better for you now? Have you learned to cope with it, or do you still have problems with it?

It is still hard for me, although I no longer have the anxiety that went w/ it when I was younger. I think I've learned to deal w/ it better. I do get migraines though from loud sounds and flourescent lighting.

RochelleFS

thatgirl70
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Quoting RochelleFS:

Quoting thatgirl70:

Quoting RochelleFS:

It is still hard for me, although I no longer have the anxiety that went w/ it when I was younger. I think I've learned to deal w/ it better. I do get migraines though from loud sounds and flourescent lighting.

That's good (about not having the anxiety). I understand about the flourescent lighting though. At my job, we have hundreds in our building and it's kept very bright in here. I'll get headaches sometimes just from it (and the occasional migraine). My DH still doesn't get the fact why I can't stand to have our house lights on brighter than dim when I get home. Spend 8 hours a day in a big room with about 100 flourscent lights and you might understand, LOL.

TristansMom440
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 1:02 PM

My quirks:  Can't stand jewelry, either!  LOL  Take off my wedding ring as soon as I get home.

I shake my drinks before I drink also (I think someone else said that, too).  And my son now does it.

I am EXTREMELY anal about doors, cabinets or drawers not being closed all the way...they have to be completely shut (and latched, if applicable).  My son has picked up on this, as well, and he will literally stop running through a hallway to back up and close a door if he sees it ajar.

Things have to be balanced...meaning, for example if something is on one side of the room, I must have the same thing on the other.  Like if there is a plant on one side of the window, I have to have the exact one on the other side or it completely freaks me out!

My checkbook drives me nuts if there is not an even number in the "cents" part on tghe balance.  Not much I can do about it, but it really irritates me.  :-)

Oh and I don;t like my food to touch either, LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)