Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In need of some help..

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:31 AM
  • 50 Replies

Hello there! I have a son named Devyn and he was diagnosed with autism in December. He is 3 and just started school at a special education preschool in March. I have seen a little bit of improvement with speech..not too much but some. But lately his behavior has taken a turn for the worse. I seriously dont know what to do anymore. I feel like I've tried everything and I just want to breakdown and cry all the time. He has started to hit, push, and throw things A LOT. He hits and pushes his one year old sister constantly throughout the day. It is so hard because he is so fast..like tonight..our friends came over and brought their daughter. She is my sons age and he smacked her in the face probably like 5 times and shoved her a handful of times. I feel like they wont be coming around anymore. I do time outs and he understands what time out is. It is almost like he enjoys being punished. However, he does cry and scream sometimes when I put him in time out. I've tried taking away his toys, explaining to him what he did and for him to apologize, etc. I dont know what to do anymore...his hitting is getting out of control..I feel like he is slipping further and further away from me. His eye contact is pretty much non existent now. This has taken too much of a toll on me that I am just constantly in a state of depression. Does anyone have any suggestions??

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Good morning. My son is also going through a hitting stage but it has been getting a little better. The school and all his therapists believe to ignore the bad behaviour and reward the good behaviour. Well it' sbeen 6 months and it is still going on, but it is ALOT less hitting. So I think it is working for my son, but not completely. 

Preventing Meltdowns: Outsmarting Explosive Behavior

I have found this post helpful with tips and other parents with the same issues.

TristansMom440
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:41 AM

Hello!  I am sorry I don;t have any advice with the hitting aspect, but just wanted to say "Hi" and give you a hug!!  There is alot of great support in this group, so here's a "bump"!hugs

aprilshowers17
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:33 AM

My sons behaivor is worse after he started school,too.(he is also 3) Wish I had some advice but Im kinda stuck too at the moment.Hope it gets better.

shell3m
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:39 AM

That is a very difficult situation.  When Dean was in the hitting stage, after the discipline didn't work, I actually hit him back (not very hard, just to get the point across)  he looked at me all stunned and I told him " see? see what happens when you hit people?"  of course I had to do this a couple of times but it did work.  At the time no one around me had Autistic children, and I didn't even know about things on the computer yet, no support group or anything.  So I had to come up with way of dealing with things like that on my own.  I figured show by example.  It might not work with every child but for my son it did work.  It was my last resort, I had tried everything but at age 2 he was already out of control about stuff like that and with a brother that was only a year younger he was hitting all the time I had to come up with something.  **shrugs** 

bouncingsoul
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Yeah, I have a problem with that. I have tried it however. But he will just keep doing it. No matter what I try he just keeps doing it! But there is no way I will ignore him when he shoves my daugther into a dishwasher or continually smack his friend in the face when she comes over. I cant just ignore this behavior when other kids are around with their parents you know? They wont understand and that will just make the situation worse. Like last night..he is best friends with this little girl and now sadly I dont believe they will be coming around much anymore..

bouncingsoul
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Thank you! :)

bouncingsoul
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Yeah..it was SOO weird. Like one day he just came home from school and went on a hitting spree. I keep on trying to contact his teacher to ask if something happened at school or if he just seems other kids hitting a lot. But she wont get back to me.

Miaulagata
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:07 PM

In my case, homeopathic remedies for his GI solved that situation.

I'm treating him right now and he is not in pain anymore.

Is your son constipated of has diarrhea? My son was. Floating belly, and stuff. And of course he was cranky and upset.

Hope my comment could help someway...

bouncingsoul
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Quoting Miaulagata:

In my case, homeopathic remedies for his GI solved that situation.

I'm treating him right now and he is not in pain anymore.

Is your son constipated of has diarrhea? My son was. Floating belly, and stuff. And of course he was cranky and upset.

Hope my comment could help someway...

Nope. No constipation or diarrhea.

twospecialkids
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM

My daughter was 7 yrs old when she went through her hitting stage. At first it was only her therapists/teachers, but then she began hitting other children and us.  I'm not sure if this will work for your child because he is so much younger but maybe you can adapt it.  My daughter had a clipboard with a timer attached to it a paper that read, "I will not hit my teachers or friends. My hands are for giving hugs." (Maybe you could use pictures).  Every time the timer went off she received a reinforcement.  If she hit before the timer went off she had to read the sentence, the timer was reset, and she did not receive her reinforcement. Every few days they increased the time by a half a minute.  Within 2 months her hitting has pretty much completely stopped!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)