• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 5 y.o. with Aspergers wants to eat constantly...

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:47 PM
  • 7 Replies
Every 2 hours he's asking for something to eat. Does anyone else have a problem with this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ROGUEM
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Is he on any medication?

shell3m
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:05 PM

My boys are 6, 5 and 1 and they eat me out of house and home.  Everyday is seems all do it get food for them.  They eat ALL THE TIME.  Growth spurts are worse because they eat even more at that time.  LOL

Corinne770
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:14 PM

My little boy does he is 6 year's old. I only feed him health food so I like to keep the proteins and fruit built up in him. I'm also giving him grape seed extract-antifungal and acidophilus-probiotic so this could be the cause as well.  Also my daughter whom is now 18 year's old I asked her doctor year's ago and he said when a child is taking a growth spurt they will do this and than slow down.

Oh, I was reading one day that children with the sensory issue- chewing eat more and are prone to being over weight later because their still doing the chewing need through food. That explains my sister she was always chewing on her blanky. She has always eaten more than me or my other sister and yes, she's overweight 5'9 and 225 pounds. I figure feeding my son right will get us ahead of the game. I also tell him like bread hurts his stomach. We're going for the gluten free diet and no sugar- honey and agave will do .

btw another subject, but The gluten free goddess. com is a good one if anyone needs to start somewhere with that diet..

tiggypou
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:21 PM
Yeah, he does take meds, Intuniv and Rispidone. We already do the gluten free. He hasn't been dx'ed with sensory issues, but we're starting to wonder if he might have a touch of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ROGUEM
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Risperidone is known to cause extreme hunger and many children gain weight on it.   My son takes it too and he is always hungry.  That is why I asked about the medicine because I hear you about wanting food every 2 hours.  Geodone is the drug they will move you to if Risperidone causes to much weight gain.  I changed all of my son's foods to lighter varieties (low fat milk, lite yogurt..etc) because he does so well on Risperidone I don't want to take a chance.  I also give him liquids every 2 hours instead of food and that seems to fill him up. His weight has stabilized for now.  Good luck and google risperidone and increased hunger and it will put you at ease.

tiggypou
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:42 PM
Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PageKing
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Risperidone can cause it. 

[

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)