Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

service dogs....

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM
  • 2 Replies
Does anyone, or know someone who has, a service dog for their child with Autism -- specifically a verbal child with Aspergers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
shell3m
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:57 PM

no I sure haven't.  After I make the boys some dinner I surf the web and see what I find.  Why? if you don't mind me asking.  :)

tiggypou
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:33 PM
We've been thinking of trying to find a way to get our 5 y.o. a service dog. We're just concerned with issues of getting issues of getting the dog and the issues of what how people will react to the fact that since he is verbal and high functioning, what would be the need for the dog. To my husband and I, the need for the dog is our son's sercurity and well-being. Our son has a bad habit that if no one is directly in the room with him, he will unlock the front door and go outside. While we have a fairly decent sized yard, we also life on VERY busy main highway, where there are so many vehicles passing at times that it's like watching a race. So for him to go out by himself is dangerous. Also, when we're out in public, he will dart away from us in a store and even in the parking lot. He almost got hit a few months ago.

He's a high functioning child, but he has no concept of safety and it's worrying for us, especially now that he's out in public more for therapy and school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)