Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Here we go again.....the battle of cleaning your room....every freakin' night!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:08 PM
  • 20 Replies

It's not like we don't do this EVERY NIGHT.  I have to battle forever to get him to clean his part.  uuuuugggggg!!  It's now going on almost 30 min. to clean what should take 5.  We go through this every night, I hate clean up time in our house.  He will actually stand there and say No, and scream and cry while he picks up A toy or two.  I don't want Garrett cleaning the whole room himself, that's not fair.  Dean made a mess too you know?  It's crap like this that makes me grateful I have two tall boys in the fridge...LOL.  How do you ladies deal with clean up time???  What for the love that is all holy do you do to deal with this battle??  HELP!!

frustrated      banging head into wall 

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twins0506
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:13 PM

do you sing the clean up song? dezmond HATES to clean up too. but when i start singing the song he will be having the meltdown as he's cleaning up. then afterwards he will continue with his meltdown. izaiah loves to clean up though thank god. he's like his mommy :) lol

shell3m
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Quoting twins0506:

do you sing the clean up song? dezmond HATES to clean up too. but when i start singing the song he will be having the meltdown as he's cleaning up. then afterwards he will continue with his meltdown. izaiah loves to clean up though thank god. he's like his mommy :) lol

tried it.  thank you for trying though, it means a lot.  ((hugs))

epilepsymom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:29 PM

We live this battle too.. We dont do nightly room clean ups.. What we do is once a week she has to clean her room.. She does it in zones.. each zone is timed for 15 mins and if she beats the time she gets rewarded.. It takes a while but NO MELTDOWNS.. 

Also we do nightly pick ups. I call it "Pick up mommy." She has 15 minutes to pick her toys up that she has in the living room etc.. When she gets distracted I show her my bag.. I remind her "Pick up mommy comes out in XX minutes." That helps re focus her.. What ever is still laying on the floor at the end goes in my bag and she has to do extra chores to get it back.. I play her favorite CD while she does pick ups

PageKing
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:45 PM
It's been along time since clean up time but I always did hand over hand with singing and rewards. *hugs* momma!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovebeingmrs
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:51 PM

When Andrew does clean up time, it does take a while. But if he has a melt down he has to sit on his bed, no tv, no toys. He gets upset then gets off his bed and puts his toys away. He will then come to me or my husband and say "done..come take a look" and we go to make sure its done. He knows if he comes and saids done and its not done..he goes back on his bed.

shell3m
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:03 PM

thank you ladies for all of your replies.  I'm going to try every single one of these over the next couple of weeks and see which one or a combination of a couple of them work.  I'm just so tired of dealing with all of this, I just KNOW there has to be a better way.  Thank you again.  ((hugs to you all))

MilissaCarden
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 10:34 PM
As the oldest child, and having two working parents, I was the one in charge of the house cleaning. I used to play games to get my siblings to clean. These are the two favorite games we used to play. Roll two dice, that's how many things you need to pick up in the room, and you need to clean up what you pick up. If you droped something you lost the game. It sounds super simple but my sisters loved it. Another game was i'd choose an object in the room. Then have them clean the room. Who ever put away the secret object, won the game. You can make up your own games that work for you. I hope this helps.
shell3m
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Quoting MilissaCarden:

As the oldest child, and having two working parents, I was the one in charge of the house cleaning. I used to play games to get my siblings to clean. These are the two favorite games we used to play. Roll two dice, that's how many things you need to pick up in the room, and you need to clean up what you pick up. If you droped something you lost the game. It sounds super simple but my sisters loved it. Another game was i'd choose an object in the room. Then have them clean the room. Who ever put away the secret object, won the game. You can make up your own games that work for you. I hope this helps.

OMG!!!  Those are wonderful ideas!!!  I'm going to do the dice thing tomorrow night, since they are already in bed.  Wonderful, thank you!!  and it sounds fun for my part too.  :)

ROGUEM
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I like the dice game idea too.  I will go get those super big dice they have at the dollar store.  Maybe the boys will enjoy cleaning if I make it more fun.

I am thinking about playing this game with my husband too.  His side of the room is constantly messy.  LOL

mallowcup17
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 11:45 PM

selena wont clean or even think about cleaning unless Dakota does then she gets jealous or whatever and wants to help. it sucks but we know no other way and sometimes that doesn't even help :( ((hugs))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)