Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello all, my 3 year old son just diagnosed with Autism.

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:23 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hello to all parents. I am beginning this new journey with my son. I hope to learn, and be informed on all things Autism. I think now my scariest thought is fear for my son, I knew something was not right with my son. After a year I finally said enough is enough I will become my son biggest advocate. The dr. Told me he has Autism. I cried trying to find doctors,. I spent days at the computer looking up doctors, and DAN doctors. Yesterday I contacted a DAN doctors office during their lunch hour just thinking I would get their voicemail. Low and behold somehow it happened the doctor picked up the phone, not stating she was the doctor, I thought maybe I happened to catch the receptionist. I asked to make a new patient appt for my son he has autism, she said you happened to reach me tell me about your son I told her the struggles I have had with doctors, who told me it's okay if he's no talking now give it time along with othe symptoms. The hearing test, allergy testing , speech therapy, a school IEP, he will be in special educatiion at 3 years old this school year coming,etc. She reassured me that I was a good mom,that I have been trying to get help for my son, but some pediatricians blow parents off like nothings wrong. After my son got his 18 month vaccines I noticed a difference in him, my husband and I reported it to his pediatrician he told us it's nothing wrong with vaccines etc. I was starting crying talking the DAN it felt like finally someone cared and knew the struggle I was going through trying to find out the diagnoses of my son, a proper care. She is going to see my son July 26 it's almost a 6 hour drive, but I will drive endless miles for my son. Thank you all for letting me share my familys start with autism.

To my son, momma loves you and will never give up on you. You are only 3 years old and have already had to endure so much, keep hanging in there you are a real trooper!! I will never give up on you, no matter what happens I will always love you ! I have loved you when I found out I was pregnant, and loved you even more when I first layed eyes on you.

Momma
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
letstalk747
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:26 AM

hi there , butterfly

starbluemom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Hi.

I'm here if you need an extra shoulder...  My son is 3 yo too.  We are in the biomedical treatment road as well.   It is difficult the 'news'...  but the best and good part is there is hope, autism is treatable!!! You can  start the diet (gluten free/casein free) no sugar (use a substitute like stevia), no artificial colors or flavors... no chocolate... not 'junk food'... 

we stopped the milk at once, but you can do in steps, 80% milk 20% 'substitute' (we use hemp milk unflavored, unsweetened), in addition you need to give extra calcium (plus magnesium) and vitamin d3... 

You are not alone... 

keep in touch!

shadaisybomb
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:10 AM
Jan 2011oficially found out. He had just turned three. I knew something was wrong. It is heartbreaking but not hopeless!! My little one went on an IEP and right into a special school. He is literally changing before my eyes..... think positive and have patience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mybabyethan2011
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:58 AM
Thank you all so much for the replies! Great comments! Through your comments I now more than ever realize that 1.) there is hope 2.) autism is treatable 3.) think positive 4.) have patience. I will remember this throughout this journey. Great tips starbluemom on diet!

Thanks everyone
Chermaine
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:04 AM

The trial of Autism with your son and your unending love is the reason that God placed him in your arms.  Your perseverence will be the key, both in learning and helping. 

Our son was diagnosed just prior to age 5, after being terminated from day care due to meltdowns.  I was so releived with the diagnosis (not that it was Autism, but that there was a cause of the symptoms).  Knowing what you're dealing with, makes life much easier in my eyes. 

Good luck, God Bless you both and stregth for the upcoming journey!

korr1121
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:08 AM

Mine are twin 3.5 year old girls.  We just got diagnosed too.  Just make sure you use all the resources available to you.  Are you on WIC?  If so ask the pediatrician for a script that you can take to WIC and get Pediasure to help with the diet.  Check into what kinds of OT (occupational therapy) that they have in your area.  It's great that you already have him enrolled in preschool. 

Remember to just love him as much as you can and fight for what he needs.  You're doing a good job.  Keep it up!!!

HUGS!!!!

in love

Mom of 4, Austin, Taya, Layla and Neya

Virginia Beach, VA

www.facebook.com/kristy.brownorr

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)