Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Using pot to treat autism?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:24 PM
  • 16 Replies

The article is too large for me to post so you'll have to click on the link. What are your thoughts?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AutismNews/mother-son-marijuana-treat-autism/story?id=9153881

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
korr1121
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I don't know about this.  I mean I know that pot is used (CA mostly) to treat cancer patients or insomnia (not sure what other uses they use it for out there).  But I just can't see myself giving my child pot.  I think that's over the line.  I mean I understand her point of view, its just not something I would do personally.  I do know that I'm bipolar and my therapist told me flat out that if pot was legal where we live, then that's what he would prescribe me and it would get me off the ten million pills I take a day.  I don't know, I just don't agree with giving that to a child.  Any other opinions on that???  Would love to see what everyone else thinks.

in love

Mom of 4, Austin, Taya, Layla and Neya

Virginia Beach, VA

www.facebook.com/kristy.brownorr

thatgirl70
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I have to agree with you. I have issues with that as well. Maybe for cancer I'd feel differently, I don't know. Reading the article, I could not tell if she had tried other forms of therapy, other than different types of drugs. Was there mention of occupational therapy or anything at all? I'll have to go back later and read it again to see if there was any mention of it.

Quoting korr1121:

I don't know about this.  I mean I know that pot is used (CA mostly) to treat cancer patients or insomnia (not sure what other uses they use it for out there).  But I just can't see myself giving my child pot.  I think that's over the line.  I mean I understand her point of view, its just not something I would do personally.  I do know that I'm bipolar and my therapist told me flat out that if pot was legal where we live, then that's what he would prescribe me and it would get me off the ten million pills I take a day.  I don't know, I just don't agree with giving that to a child.  Any other opinions on that???  Would love to see what everyone else thinks.

TristansMom440
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Interesting article.  I personally would not give my child pot.  But, with that being said...I can also see why one might if nothing else has helped.  To me, giving a child a ton of meds can be just as dangerous to their system as a brownie w/a little pot in it every couple of days.  JMO.  I am not condoning it...just trying to see both sides. 

RochelleFS
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Interesting article for sure...but still not sure about how I feel about this w/ children, even though many are being given even more potentially dangerous meds...hmmm

RockinMama0608
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:58 PM

I would have a hard time giving my child pot.  I know there are some medical benefits to its use, but I do not think it is something I would want my child to use.   Interesting article...

shell3m
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:03 PM

ummmm no!  I don't need my child MORE spaced out and out of reality.  I can't believe people are even considering this.  **rolling eyes**

iluvroman
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Quoting shell3m:

ummmm no!  I don't need my child MORE spaced out and out of reality.  I can't believe people are even considering this.  **rolling eyes**

thats a good one! ha ha!

RochelleFS
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Quoting shell3m:

lol. great point. I may never get DD out of the fridge.

RochelleFS

Jadnorton
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:13 PM
Please don't tell my hubby. He'd be all over this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nidreya
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 3:02 AM
That's an old article. Here's the same mother and child last week: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/125049904.html He's gone from 42 to 112 lbs and their lives have been transformed! Tens of thousands of families have quietly gone this route and it nearly always works. You should definitely use google, I was amazed to learn about the human endocannabinoid system, and how there are cannabinoids in breast milk! In short, cannabis is a medicine not a drug, it's safe and non-toxic, it doesn't cause mental illness and there is nothing but stubborn ass*s at the DEA keeping it from being a very useful medicine. In 2009 the AMA pleaded with the DEA to be allowed to use it as medicine freely, the DEA keep maintaining that the world is flat. 55 US Pharmaceutical companies have a license to grow medical cannabis in the USA and I spoke to a Company just last week concerning the development of a cannabis based treatment for ASD. Pot is actually safer for kids than for adults, and safer for autistic people than non-autistic. Sometimes reality is quite the opposite to what we first intuit ;) x
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)