Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a little confused

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:02 PM
  • 30 Replies

i have a question took my dd to her therapist today and she said she has ocd along with being on the autism spectrum she said the ocd will probably get worse as she gets older what do you ladies think and any of your children on the spectrum and diagnosed later with something else im having a hard time a little bit dealing with the news today

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lily517
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:13 PM

bump

korr1121
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM

The girls Dr told me that Autism can come with other disorders and symptoms too.  Like they both are diagnosed ADHD along with the Autism.  And we're still searching to see if there's anything else that they might have.

in love

Mom of 2, Austin and Taya (ADHD/Bipolar), Stepmom of 2, Layla and Neya (both PDD-NOS/ADHD)

Virginia Beach, VA   www.facebook.com/kristy.brownorr

mallowcup17
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:34 PM

my SD hasnt had an autism dx as of yet but has had ADHD, BiPolar, and ODD. I have also heard that autism can come with other similar disorders. 

Jenn5142
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:41 PM

My DD was diagnosed with ADHD, OCD and ODD 2 1/2 yrs after she was diagnosed with Autism.  The OCD does seem to be getting worse.  I just try to go with her obsessions within reason.  As long as its not distruptive to the rest of the family, mainly her brothers, then I don't make a big deal out of it, and just except that its just the way she likes things or needs things to be done.  I think in a way we can all be OCD in our own way.  There are certain things that we like done a certain way, that others might find odd.  Hang in there Mama!!!!

iluvroman
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:46 PM

i went to see William Stillman speak at a college, he has asbergers and has written alot of books about autism, and one of the things he said is the OCD like tendencies are MISDIAGNOSED as OCD when really its part of being on the spectrum. also many children with autism are diagnosed mentally retarded as well and they actually are not. the doctors told me that my son was mentally retarded when he was diagnosed with autism 2yrs ago when he was only 2yrs old. The doctors are not God and I dont believe in a bad report they give me. The brains of our kids are different than ours and it makes them unique and special. My son is not mentally retarded. He learns and is very smart. i hope this helps!angel mini

lily517
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Thanks it does help alot...i just hope i can learn how to make things better for her and i just dont know how to do that and i feel helpless sometimes

Jenn5142
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:08 PM

It does make you feel helpless, but the thing to remember is, while its good to do research and get ideas and advice from others that have been through it, you gotta find what works for YOUR daughter.  Every child is different, and what works for one child doesn't always work for another.  You just gotta keep trying different things til something works, and it may work for a little while, then you have to switch things up and try something different.

~HUGS MAMA~

group hug

Quoting lily517:

Thanks it does help alot...i just hope i can learn how to make things better for her and i just dont know how to do that and i feel helpless sometimes

http://www.cafemom.com/group/112775

lily517
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:14 PM

we have tried alot of stuff already like picture boards and charts and everything still working on what works for her just having a hard time with her playing outside with kids she just doesnt understand things sometimes and its so hard to explain to her that not everyone wants to do what she wants to do all the time

iluvroman
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:33 PM

i know the feeling trust me! but if you could trust that God has a perfect plan for our kids and stay positive and happy about it your attitude can rub off on your child. when i first found out i felt helpless, alone, scared, depressed, angry... then i did something about it. i learned about the gluten/caesin free diet and did it, got him as much therapy as i could, went to autism conferences and read and researched it. this will make you feel so empowered and happy to be your child's advocate. its the best thing that ever happened to me! once i accepted it i embraced it! i hope you can do the same. you may have to come to this conclusion in your own time but i would try to get rid of that negative energy and embrace the positive! i'm here for you. i can tell you exactly the books and movies that helped the most also.

iluvroman
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM

its sorta "the try everything" approach! lol! but it keeps you feeling more in control:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)