Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm PISSED at WIC

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:28 PM
  • 15 Replies

Okay maybe not that much but it is unfair. My son has celiac diease and the whole point of WIC is to make sure lower income children get fed and fed properly. I am greatful for the services they offer. BUT my son has a glutten intollerance and a lactose intollerace.. due to his illness which is something most Autisic children have.. so why not have a plan for them.. they said well he can chose one or the other.. One limits him to no milk at all and the other limits him to only two cereals and no bread choices at all.. OH did I mention he is frutose intollerant as well.. so basically they have a gluten free package that isn't gluten free and just screws you on the milk.  They need to have something for kids with specials needs. There needs to be someone that people like me can talk to that give a damn.  Gluten free bread is like 8 bucks and you know what.. my son's favorite meal is grilled cheese sandwich.. It breaks my heart  and wallet to find lactose free cheese and then gluten free bread when the state is meant to help provide these things..  It just seems so unfair!

Some times I need a break and go to play..

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rhianonmat
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Do you know that in many states... if you get food stamp benefits you can get extra money to pay for GF foods?  You just have to get a letter from your doctor stating your child has celiac and needs a special diet.

My friend Shan's children have celiac and she gets extra FS money because of the expensive foods.

** I don't know if you get FS, but since you qualify for WIC, you may qualify for FS as well.  Every little bit helps, KWIM?

Gemini5
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:33 PM

I can relate-my oldest son was severely annaphylactically allergic to multiple foods drugs environment,animals,insects etc.. when he was 8 mos old all the way to age 14 years and could only eat 8 foods plus had to be on a formula called alimentum he has f-pies and soy f-pies syndrome to boot food protein enterocolitus syndrome's-milk and soy. and his diet is over 500 dollars per month. Social services only gives me 148$ for his diet so he cannot have his 300 dollar formula.It indeed sucks-hugz

Punkslilncs
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:36 PM

NO WAY?? I hope this works in texas.. cause I am in tears.. I can barely afford to feed him and now he is on this special diet and OMG IT SUCKS.. he is getting better gaining weight and looking more like a child than .. well an alien.. but still.. This info is SO helpful.

Quoting rhianonmat:

Do you know that in many states... if you get food stamp benefits you can get extra money to pay for GF foods?  You just have to get a letter from your doctor stating your child has celiac and needs a special diet.

My friend Shan's children have celiac and she gets extra FS money because of the expensive foods.

** I don't know if you get FS, but since you qualify for WIC, you may qualify for FS as well.  Every little bit helps, KWIM?

Punkslilncs
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:37 PM

They just put my daughter on that today.. we are gonna see how it works.. I really am hoping praying to any and everything she doesn't have the same GI issues.

Quoting Gemini5:

I can relate-my oldest son was severely annaphylactically allergic to multiple foods drugs environment,animals,insects etc.. when he was 8 mos old all the way to age 14 years and could only eat 8 foods plus had to be on a formula called alimentum he has f-pies and soy f-pies syndrome to boot food protein enterocolitus syndrome's-milk and soy. and his diet is over 500 dollars per month. Social services only gives me 148$ for his diet so he cannot have his 300 dollar formula.It indeed sucks-hugz

Some times I need a break and go to play..

rhianonmat
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Ooohh... I'm in Texas, too. 

If you qualify for FS, you get a discount on your phone and electricity bills from May-August.  Did you know that?  It's called the Lite Up Texas program.  Look it up.  There's an online application. 

Also... if your child qualifies for SSI he'll get Medicaid as well.  I highly recommend applying for SSI if you have an official autism DX. 

Medicaid is awesome when it comes to paying for ST, OT, etc.  AND once your child turns 4 years old (in Tx... in some states it's 3) Medicaid will pay for diapers!   300 a month.... for FREE.  That's a HUGE help if your child isn't potty trained (and lots of autistic kiddos  aren't PT'd by 4)

Quoting Punkslilncs:

NO WAY?? I hope this works in texas.. cause I am in tears.. I can barely afford to feed him and now he is on this special diet and OMG IT SUCKS.. he is getting better gaining weight and looking more like a child than .. well an alien.. but still.. This info is SO helpful.

Quoting rhianonmat:

rhianonmat
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:46 AM

I'm not sure whether they do it here or not.  Shan's in California. 

But if you need celiac advice... she's AWESOME.  All 4 of her kids have it and she knows SO much.  She's like a walking GF encyclopedia.  I'll give you her screen name if you'd like to contact her on CM.

Quoting Punkslilncs:

Quoting rhianonmat:

yogapantz
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 1:44 AM

I've dealt with Texas WIC before, we had to use the formula with the rice cereal in it for reflux that was causing my daughter to spit up her meds. We had to get a prescription from our pediatrician, which she did without even seeing us (and getting a copay!), I brought it to WIC and she got it.

I wonder if getting documentation from your pedi would help in this case.

adevilsadvocate
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 2:12 AM

I am not an american so my advice might not work but go to your doctor's and get documentation and bring it to this WIC place. If they continue to refuse do as the other ladies say and get foodstamps. Documentation always helps. And get on disability.

Punkslilncs
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 3:14 AM

Both my children have GI issues.. my son has a glutten issue and while WIC has his pescription and are aware of the situation.. they just don't offer what he needs on their program. Glutten free generally means no whole wheats.. and those are the only cereals and breads they offer... also if he goes with that package.. he would have to get whole milk and he needs lactose free. There is a flaw in the system.

With my daughter.. her formula is now switched to alimentum and I hope WIC pays for it cause MAN it is 25 bucks a can...

Jenn5142
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 6:22 AM

I had 2 kids on the alimentum and wic covered it, I just had to get my DR to fill out a form every few months for it.  I was also able to get him to fill out a form to cover Aryana to get a Soy pediatric shake, when she was off formula.  Sometimes you actually have to ask them, because when I had my baby, my case worker was trying to tell me that they didn't cover my daughters shakes.  I fought him for 30 min, before someone else walked in and told him YES!!

Quoting Punkslilncs:

Both my children have GI issues.. my son has a glutten issue and while WIC has his pescription and are aware of the situation.. they just don't offer what he needs on their program. Glutten free generally means no whole wheats.. and those are the only cereals and breads they offer... also if he goes with that package.. he would have to get whole milk and he needs lactose free. There is a flaw in the system.

With my daughter.. her formula is now switched to alimentum and I hope WIC pays for it cause MAN it is 25 bucks a can...

http://www.cafemom.com/group/112775

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)