Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I received a Nickerson letter from the Bd of Education .....

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 8:12 PM
  • 16 Replies
This letter gives me the option of enrolling my son in a private school because the Bd of Ed did not timely find a placement for my son who wil be five in sept and starting kindergarten. They goofed and had to send these out to 2500 students. I was able to find a spot for him in a great school but the thing is that it's only good for one year. Have any of the NYC moms gone thru this?? The whole process of waiting for a placement has been very stressful and I don't want to go through this again next year. after sending mme this letter they have now located a public school that will accept him but I know it's not even in the same class as the private school that he has been accepted into.. What if he gets used to the private school and within a year they want to put him in a public school. I know that I have to contact an attorney but I can't afford one to fight this battle.

by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RochelleFS
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 8:15 PM

sorry no  help here, but here's a bump

RochelleFS
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 8:15 PM

BUMP!

troll.mom
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 8:17 PM

sorry no help here, i am on LI, and i know the school system is 1000 times different, even though we are so close..

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jul. 31, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I don't know either but I'm Bumping! good luck!

PageKing
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Here's a bump!!!

ROGUEM
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 11:31 PM

I think I would take the one year of the great school.  At that age they can learn so much in one year.  Who knows what he might learn that could make a big difference. There is a big transistion from kindergarten to first grade anyways so he will have a transition next year anyways.  Who knows maybe they might goof again next year.

nicksmommy1000
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM

That's what I was thinking also.   I have read alot about the NYC Board of Education special education department and I don't think they care very much about our kids.   I'm hoping that by the time he gets to 1st or 2nd grade, I can mainstream him and put him in a parochial school. 

Grocked5
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Take the year and give yourself that time to work on other options.  The fact that the district  made the mistake in the first place and your child will have spend a year in a private learning environment will give you a more powerful argument that he should be allowed to stay there.  In other words, they made a mistake, you placed your child and he is in a stable learning environment and they want to penalize your child and disrupt his learning to correct their mistake?  The other thing you might want to do is to get really involved at the school, be visible in good ways so that when and if you are able to apply for reduced tuition and or scholarships they will look more favorably at your application.  Also look at charter schools as an option during the year.  Good luck!

witchyRina
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 12:21 PM

BUMP!

witchyRina
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Bumped, I have had similar issues but never been to NY so not much help I can give.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)