• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So irritated.... can someone help??

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:10 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hi!!!

My some Justyn is 4 yrs old and I'm having a tough time with him. last yr he went to preschool and has has speech therapy up until May 2011 they then said he didn't need it anymore. I told the pedi about my concerns of him being Autistic and everything I have read about AS fits him perfectly. There's one issue.... His pedi sent him to an evaluator at a Oaklawn facility and she did not do her job. She asked about his medical history and shoved us out the door. No questions about school or strangers or his tantrums he throws nothing. He has hearing sensitivity problems for example when we r in public he screams when the toilet flushed cause it hurt his ears. She didn't this he has AS cause he plays fine with his brothers and sisters but he sees them everyday 24/7. So he evaluator did not five him a diagnosis of AS but I believe that to b wrong. My question is now what do I do???? He has all kinds of problems at school and at home. He is going to b starting Kindergarten again this Sept. Thank god he has the same teacher but what about next yr when he goes to a completely different school to start kindergarten and rides the bus???? Can anyone help???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:56 AM

You can ask your child's public school to evaluate him too.  Let them know about his issues are and that you want him evaluated

mallowcup17
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 9:04 AM

i agree with Wendy and get the school system to evaluate him. it may take some time but it will hopefully get him the services he needs. best of luck!

ROGUEM
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM

He definitely has sensory issues which can be diagnosed separately.  I would pursue an evaluation with the school like others have posted. BUT I would also see if there are any developmental pediatricians or neurologists in your area - they also dx autism.  Iam big on second opinions so I see this as you seeking a second opinion because you disagree with the competency of the testing.  Good Luck.

dezandry
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I would get someone new to evaluate him, either the school district or get another referral from his doctor to another facility. good luck.

thatgirl70
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I would request that he be evaluated by another person at this facility if one is available. If not, talk to your pedi, explain what happened and request a referral to another place. You might see if you have a local MMHR chapter and see if they have autism services (ours in TX does). 

shell3m
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Quoting aidensmomma508:

You can ask your child's public school to evaluate him too.  Let them know about his issues are and that you want him evaluated

THIS!  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)