Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

antidepressants/SSRI's.....anyone else??

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

my husband and i have 3 kids. last year 2 of them were diagnosed with autism. they were diagnosed within 2 months of eachother. my husband and i have both always had problems with depression, but after the kids' diagnoses we both got worse. it was a struggle to get outta bed. we were both crying everyday. we were both becoming suicidal. so our doctor put us both on Celexa. it helped us out tremendously. we both slowly became happier and less moody. overtime, it wasn't the stress of the kids getting dianosed that was bumming us out. it was just the stress of taking care of 2 autistic kids and we had a new baby, and i started having 10-15 seizures a day so i had to quit working. we lost our apartment cuz we couldn;t make the rent without my income. we moved into a low-income community. well now i take Zoloft and my hubby takes prozac, instead of the celexa. well i waswondering if any one else has had sny problems with depression or anyhting like that since their kids dx? 

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eva1973
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I've had low level anxiety and depression since I was about 5 yrs old.  I was on zoloft breifly many yrs ago.  I stopped taking it b/c it made me very sleepy and I would fall asleep in class ( I was a college student at the time).  I would get home from class and sleep 4 hrs straight.  I didn't think this was really helping my life so I stopped taking it.  Other than that I haven't been on any meds.  

bouncingsoul
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Yes. I have always been depressed though. But, it has gotten worse over the years. I have really bad anxiety too. I am not on any meds though. After I had both kids I was taking celexa. But, I stopped taking it after awhile.

speech31
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM

Yep, I started taking Effexor a few years after my son was dx with autism.  I also have 3 girls (kinda typical), but having a kid with autism just pushed me over the edge.  I was getting so angry - at feeling like a failure, not being able to control his behavior, or understand what autism is all about.  I was getting to the point where I was afraid I would lose my temper with the kids, and I was also really depressed and anxious.  The meds made me feel like a person again.  I also know several moms who started SSRI's in order to deal with their autistic children.  It can be draining.

ROGUEM
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I think if we all went to the doctor and explained our daily lives in detail,  probably every one of us would be prescribed something...lol.   Raising a special needs child isn't for sissies - it can be taxing emotionally and physically!  I also think most of us battle with anxiety over the future of our children (will they get better, live on their own, who will take care of them if something happens, etc.). All these reasons makes all of us at risk for stress, depression, anxiety, and burn out.  We have to be mindful to take care of ourselves- our children need us.  If you need medication, yoga, time away, prayer, whatever to keep yourself together, then you should do it.

korr1121
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:38 PM

My stress level and anxiety levels went up, so my dr put me on a higher dosage of xanax.

ajs16919
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:20 PM

i'm glad my hubby and i are not alone. thank you guys :)

heathers5500
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I have alway's battled with what I thought was depression and Bi-Polar Disorder and I finally found a good Psychiatrist that diagnosed me correctly with a Mood Disorder and Anxiety, he put me on the right "Happy Pills" and I stopped crying and screaming at everyone all the time...This was before DS's Diagnosis

TristansMom440
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:04 AM

YES!!  My DH actually was on Zoloft BEFORE we got the dx.  But it turned him into a monster...like crazy, sometimes violent.  Now he is on Celexa and is MUCH better!!  He had become suicidal (tried to kill himself back in June), so that combined with him losing his job and me trying to care for him AND our autistic son was more than I could handle.  SO now I am on Celexa as well, and it has been a life-saver!  Like you said...it wasn't the dx that caused the stress/depression....just coping through each day is what made it so difficult.  But now I am able to wake up each day with a smile and handle anything that comes my way....well...almost, LOL!

TristansMom440
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:07 AM

FYI, my doctor told me if I was too sleepy to get through the day on my meds that I should take it at bedtime instead.  It really helped b/c when I was taking it in the morning, I couldn't function and was falling asleep, too!  :)

Quoting Eva1973:

I've had low level anxiety and depression since I was about 5 yrs old.  I was on zoloft breifly many yrs ago.  I stopped taking it b/c it made me very sleepy and I would fall asleep in class ( I was a college student at the time).  I would get home from class and sleep 4 hrs straight.  I didn't think this was really helping my life so I stopped taking it.  Other than that I haven't been on any meds.  

worrydrandmom
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Not only a sufferer of anxiety/depression but also a mental health therapist.  Children who are dx with PDD usually have a genetic predisposition to a mental illness.  My anxiety has been a problem since I was in 6th grade. At the same time, my sister was dealing with such horrible anxiety she ended up in the hospital.  Our family tree is thick with anxiety/depression. I chuckled at ROGUM's post because I totally agree and there is nothing wrong with taking something if a person needs it.  It doesn't have to be for the rest of your life.  However, a pill isn't going to fix everything.  Finding support (like right here), a therapist, family (if they get it) or friend is also important as is taking care of yourself.  Giving yourself a break in whatever manner you find relaxing and taking it....that also means the guilt gets left at the front door:)  We are all more alike than, at times, we may think!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)