Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kindergartner refuses to eat at school:( Any suggestions??

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:42 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son is 5 and has SPD,autistic disorder,and PDD-NOS.He will be tested in oct. for Asperger's. He attended preschool for two years and this year started kindergarten.His first full day was wednesday.  I have tried having him eat the school food( I know what was I thinking right? different food) and he refused. I made him lunch and once again he refused to eat it. I've spoken with school staff and left a voice mail with the school counselor. Should I just give him more time to adjust or intervene?? My mil said not to worry but naturally I am.  Please don't mention an IEP because I've been working on getting him another one since last school year.  "The school may want to implement interventions as needed" is what was stated in the letter I received in the mail. He did tell me that he doesn't want to go to the cafeteria but he wouldn't tell me why. I then told him that he needs to eat to grow big and strong and he then told me "I don't want to grow...I want to stay five". Naturally I have to watch what I say to him because of his memory but what can I tell him?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I think it hasn't been that long, as long as he is eating at home, i wouldn't worry too much yet, it's just the first few days...

shell3m
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I would just give him time.  All the kids in the cafeteria might be freakin' him out.  Dean usually takes about 2 weeks to get into the swing of things.  After that period of time I would finally try something. 

ROGUEM
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:04 PM

My son went through this too when he was younger. To keep myself from worrying about nutrition I would make him eat a big breakfast and then he would eat a large snack (it was really a lunch when he got home at 3) and then he ate dinner.  This was the same amount of calories, it was just spread out differently.  I realized that the reason he was not eating was because all the stimuli at school made it to hard for him to relax enough to want to eat.  There was just too much going on around him.  Once he adjusted to school, he started eating his lunch.  You don't want to make it an issue because he may start dreading the whole lunch/eating issue.  I hope this helps and he adjusts and starts eating lunch soon. 

Jessica365
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Okay I have several sugest so I will list them one at a time

1. go to school with ur kid for lunch no pressure just hang out bring you a little snack and eat just have a good time bring something he likes maybe that will help him and u take the pressure off and u can see what is going on.

2. maybe it is the noise level try headphonesto block noise (like the kind for hunting) or earbuds w/ music or a story

3. try geting school to let him eat in a class or office space where it is quiet even eatting before they go or after they come back or maybe before the lunch room gets full or after it empties.

4. wait for a routin to form everyday pack a lunch send it get the teach to help lay it out and clean it up and maybe in time it will work.

5. he eatting at snack time? if so see what is different about that time.

one of my sons has autism one has asperurgers and all three have adhd ; my youngest and only non auti is the pickiest of all about how and when he eats teachers and subs worry b/c there are times he just will not eat at school infact for a whole year he would only take PBand J and eat only a few bits of it . it was K and now he is about to enter 2nd and still I worry will he eat at school but then again he just started eatting at his grandmother's house some and I thought that would never happen. hope this helps just feed him a good BF and make an afternoon snack and everyday thing in the meantime. good luck

mkagdchcetdy
by on Aug. 24, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Thank you so much for all your replies. He has slowly started to eat a little bit and occasionally even drink. It's just going to take some time. 

shell3m
by on Aug. 25, 2011 at 1:00 AM

WONDERFUL!  advice.  :)

Quoting Jessica365:

Okay I have several sugest so I will list them one at a time

1. go to school with ur kid for lunch no pressure just hang out bring you a little snack and eat just have a good time bring something he likes maybe that will help him and u take the pressure off and u can see what is going on.

2. maybe it is the noise level try headphonesto block noise (like the kind for hunting) or earbuds w/ music or a story

3. try geting school to let him eat in a class or office space where it is quiet even eatting before they go or after they come back or maybe before the lunch room gets full or after it empties.

4. wait for a routin to form everyday pack a lunch send it get the teach to help lay it out and clean it up and maybe in time it will work.

5. he eatting at snack time? if so see what is different about that time.

one of my sons has autism one has asperurgers and all three have adhd ; my youngest and only non auti is the pickiest of all about how and when he eats teachers and subs worry b/c there are times he just will not eat at school infact for a whole year he would only take PBand J and eat only a few bits of it . it was K and now he is about to enter 2nd and still I worry will he eat at school but then again he just started eatting at his grandmother's house some and I thought that would never happen. hope this helps just feed him a good BF and make an afternoon snack and everyday thing in the meantime. good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)