Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

how do you tell???

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 3:59 PM
  • 72 Replies
3 moms liked this

one of the ladies posted a list of autistic type behaviors. many i wasnt aware of..

Toe walking?? Liam walks on his toes all the time.. wirling.. yup.. and he does it on his toes. my friends and family thinks that is neat. I just thought he was just talented :/ lol

He doesnt rock, but he will sit on the couch watching blues clues and bang his head on the back of the couch, fast and repeatly (it's cushioned so it doesnt hurt) i actually tried it.. gave me a headache so not sure how he does it for so long??

when he was a baby, he would head butt or drag his head down everything. he stopped that in favor of the couch behavior.

none of his toys are used for what they are made for, except balls.. he likes anything that spins or rolls. he wont roll a car, but turn it over and spin the wheels.

until a month ago he walked around with his hands over his ears or was flapping at one (like a dog scratchinghis ears) he still sometimes does it, but not constantly.

I guess my point is, I am confused.. :/ He seems smart, minus the not talking. and his behavior doesnt seem overly odd.. well, at least to me.. :/

one minute, i feel like i need to be here, the next, like i am a hypocrite for even joining..

since liam has been born it's been one thing after another... poor baby. i hope that after this is over he doesnt have to see another doctor, but he has taken it like a trooper compared to me..

but then i am dealing with this alone. my hubby doesnt live here (due to his job) and really doesnt want to know

by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ROGUEM
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM
3 moms liked this

My son is a toe walker.  I thought it was cute when he was younger, but as he got older (he is going to be 8 in November) it became a problem.  It is hyper- extending his muscles and has caused his feet to bow in.  I am now facing having to put him in braces to try to break it.   Both of my sons cover their ears to block out the sensory overload.  Based on your comments I would get him evalutated if you don't already have an appointment.  My children are all very bright - intelligence has nothing to do with autims. Two of my children have very high IQs.  I think it is best to find out either way and set your mind at ease. I will be thinking of you. Please keep us posted.

ajs16919
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 5:07 PM
6 moms liked this

about 6 months before my son turned 2 i started researching asperger's, he had all the same signs as your son. at his 2 yr check up, he was not talking at all and was barely walking.i brought it up the doctor that he had some of the symptoms of aspergers. she told me that she was glad i already knew so that she didn't have to be the on to bring it up. when my husband left the room to take him and our other son, 4 yr old at the time. i started bawling. the nurse was with me and comforting me. all those months i had known in my heart that he and my other son were autistic. but actually hearing it from a dr broke my heart.  so a few months later my 2 yr old was diagnosed with low-functioning autism by a nuerologist and my 4 yr old was diagnosed with high-functioning autism. my 4 yr old had no words at the time. he didn''t even say his name until his 5th birthday. my point is, if you even have a small feeling that he might. just go to the dr and ask to see a neurologist. early intervention is the key to autism. also my oldest is now 6, his IQ was tested to be almost 25 points above average. kids with autism are usually geniuses in one or more subjects. autism has nothing to do with intelligence. it is not the end of the world, in fact it is the start of a whole new one. ((hugs))

ajs16919
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 5:07 PM

BUMP!

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Aug. 29, 2011 at 5:10 PM
2 moms liked this

You are totally welcome here if your son has issues or not.((hugs))

appletartzz
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM

thanks, :) I appreciate it!! the speech therapist brought it up, but i THOUGHT she had ruled it out. appearently not. I have been on the phone off and on all day with insurance (long story) and resetting up appointment.. i should have an appt tomorrow for a new speech therapist closer to my house

the other one was a 1 hour drive one way.. cant do it with school.. and with the hearing eval and insurance mix up my ped wants to start the evaluation from scratch with the new speech therapist.

Hopefully, we are on the right track to get everything done smoothly now.. for this moment i have a crashing headache lol.

the eval someone posted seemed to point to autism from what i read according to my responses.. that is in my other post..

is there one thing that just screams autism??? it's a bit confusing because there are so many types

appletartzz
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Thanks!! i will have to look up asperger's

Quoting ajs16919:

about 6 months before my son turned 2 i started researching asperger's, he had all the same signs as your son. at his 2 yr check up, he was not talking at all and was barely walking.i brought it up the doctor that he had some of the symptoms of aspergers. she told me that she was glad i already knew so that she didn't have to be the on to bring it up. when my husband left the room to take him and our other son, 4 yr old at the time. i started bawling. the nurse was with me and comforting me. all those months i had known in my heart that he and my other son were autistic. but actually hearing it from a dr broke my heart.  so a few months later my 2 yr old was diagnosed with low-functioning autism by a nuerologist and my 4 yr old was diagnosed with high-functioning autism. my 4 yr old had no words at the time. he didn''t even say his name until his 5th birthday. my point is, if you even have a small feeling that he might. just go to the dr and ask to see a neurologist. early intervention is the key to autism. also my oldest is now 6, his IQ was tested to be almost 25 points above average. kids with autism are usually geniuses in one or more subjects. autism has nothing to do with intelligence. it is not the end of the world, in fact it is the start of a whole new one. ((hugs))

ajs16919
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 6:28 PM

the only way to know for sure wether or not he is on the spectrum is to go to a neorologist. in florida, any therapist and/or teacher by law is not allowed to tell you wether your child is autistic in their opinion. if you say to them "do you think he seems like he has autism", they don't have to answer yes even if they do think so. they can get sued for that. i'm sorry that you are going thru all of this, i know it is hard. but at least now you have this group to help u. also, flapping the hands, toe walking, covering the ears, banging their head  and lack of speach are classic signs of autism. but, not all kids with autism have all those signs. every kid is different. your son sounds like my younger boy, then my older one is completely opposite.

Tricia98570
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 10:20 PM

My son Colby does alot of those behaviors you describe about Liam. Colby was diagnosed high functioning autistic and age two. Does that mean Liam is? No, but honestly, I think it may be a possibility and you should push for further diagnoses. Just remember, its NOT the end of the world! Let me know if I can be of any help!

steph2884
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 10:37 PM

The behaviors you have described are things my son does. He does the whole banging his head in the couch while watching tv, flips cars over to see the wheels spin, cover his ears with his hands. I know it's scary at first, but the sooner you get in for a diagnosis the better. After my son was diagnosed we were able to get him services that a typical kid will not get for free. He goes to preschool for free, and gets his speech therapy and occupational therapy there for free as well. The sooner, the better. And some husbands are weird about autism. My husband has actually taken everything better than I have, so I've been blessed with the support there. There are many mothers who do it alone because their husband just can't deal with it. There is a whole community of autism mothers out there, so believe me when I say you won't be alone! We tend to band together when other people go away.

ROGUEM
by on Aug. 29, 2011 at 11:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Amazing how it brings us together with a bond that is so strong! 

Quoting steph2884:

The behaviors you have described are things my son does. He does the whole banging his head in the couch while watching tv, flips cars over to see the wheels spin, cover his ears with his hands. I know it's scary at first, but the sooner you get in for a diagnosis the better. After my son was diagnosed we were able to get him services that a typical kid will not get for free. He goes to preschool for free, and gets his speech therapy and occupational therapy there for free as well. The sooner, the better. And some husbands are weird about autism. My husband has actually taken everything better than I have, so I've been blessed with the support there. There are many mothers who do it alone because their husband just can't deal with it. There is a whole community of autism mothers out there, so believe me when I say you won't be alone! We tend to band together when other people go away.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)