Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Son with Aspergers

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 8:42 PM
  • 17 Replies

Hi

My son just got diagnosed with Aspergers. He is 7. Its been a long battle since he was 3 trying to figure out what is wrong. I am new to all of this and some tips on how to handle him when he has his outbursts and fits would be great. I live in the Hinesville/Savannah GA area.

by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shell3m
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Welcome!! to our family in here!  My name is Michelle and I have 3 little men, Dean is 6 and our Autistic one, Garrett is 5 and Jackson is 15 months.  :)

wave              welcome

RDiaz123
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 10:00 PM
Hi
.....I am new to this as well. My Aspie son is also 7 but we live in Florida. Anthony was diagnosed this year. Also after a long battle ...but we're getting used to fighting battles with/for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2011 at 10:17 PM

I'm new as well. we were told by the school behaviorist that our oldest fits the criteria for aspergers (not allowed to give a "diagnosis). Still waiting to get in to the developmental center in little rock for further testing. Until then, we're going on that. and it fits him to a t. Its an exhausting life, full of therapies and rountines and schedules and meltdowns. Hang in there mama. I suggest praying a lot lol.

lfrrll5
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM
Welcome. My son was dxd last year at 8 yrs old. He is 9 now. He gets a lot of theapy goes once every two weeks and we talk a lot at home when he is calm about our expectations of him. Its hard for them to learn to calm themselves down during a meltdown but if you work hard with him he will get there. My son now has learned to go into a room where he can be alone and away from distractions to cool off. when he is completely calm he comes back out and we talk about it. The start is to help him discover what his triggers are and what his first signs are that he is getting upset.Teach him cool down techniques. Some examples being throwing socks or something soft into a basket or deep breaths or tightening muscle groups one at a time and releasing them. Also some younger kids like the turtle where they pull their limbs in like a turtle does into their shell and take three deep breaths and releasing. Also squeezing fists and releasing as if making lemonade from lemons so to speak. Thats a few we use. I hope this helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovebeingmrs
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM
Welcome, my sons name is Andrew. He is five years old. We found out he has autism at the age of three. Now they say he has aspergers. He gets pt at school along with speech. He has made great strides.
welcome to the group
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ROGUEM
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Hello and Welcome.  My name is Michelle and I have 3 boys on the spectrum.  My oldest is Matthew (11yrs)  and he has Aspergers and my twins, Jonathan and Stephen, are 7 with Autism.  I live pretty close to you in Columbus Ga.  Savannah is such a beautiful area.  Please tell us what kind of outbursts you are dealing with (what he is doing and what is causing it).  We have a very knowledgable group of compassionate ladies that would be glad to offer advise and understanding.

There is so much out there now to help our kids.  Mine have come so far since they were first dx. I know at first it is overwelming, but do not get discouraged.  Now that you have the dx there is a lot that can be done. 

Again welcome to our family.  Always love to have a fellow GA gal ;-)

mandy119
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Hi welcome to the group!My son Landan was diagnosed with Aspergers at the age of 6 yrs old he just turned 8 last month.It was a long battle for us as well ,but now that we know what is wrong it has helped us understand things so much better! Landan receives therapy once a week at the Autism center his therapy has been wonderful for Landan .We have to keep Landan on a consistent schedule we have a visual schedule with daily activities.We know all about those outbursts sometimes we distract Landan in his outburst moment and give a notebook to write or draw what he is feeling this seems to help at times.We really have to manage plans and make sure Landan understands that planned activities can be changed and we always have a back up plan.Any change can increase his anxiety so we have to be consistent in the schedule and avoid sudden changes.We operate on "Asperger time" which means "Twice as much time,half as much done." Good luck and hugs your way !!

ROGUEM
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I love the Aspergers time ...LOL funny but **sigh** sadly true.

Quoting mandy119:

Hi welcome to the group!My son Landan was diagnosed with Aspergers at the age of 6 yrs old he just turned 8 last month.It was a long battle for us as well ,but now that we know what is wrong it has helped us understand things so much better! Landan receives therapy once a week at the Autism center his therapy has been wonderful for Landan .We have to keep Landan on a consistent schedule we have a visual schedule with daily activities.We know all about those outbursts sometimes we distract Landan in his outburst moment and give a notebook to write or draw what he is feeling this seems to help at times.We really have to manage plans and make sure Landan understands that planned activities can be changed and we always have a back up plan.Any change can increase his anxiety so we have to be consistent in the schedule and avoid sudden changes.We operate on "Asperger time" which means "Twice as much time,half as much done." Good luck and hugs your way !!

jaderica
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 11:57 PM

I also have an 8yr old on the spectrum- he was diagnosed at age 4 after some round about fighting as he was having siezures and we got the autism diagnosis while trying to determine the cause of the siezures. I remember feeling really lost and frustrated right after his diagnosis because while there is tons of information out there, a lot of it is mis-information and much of the rest of it contains treatments and strategies that don't work for everyone. It can be very hard to sort it all out and decide what to try for your kid.  I have to tell you that one of the best resources I have found is right here on CafeMom in not only this forum, but also a few of the other Groups that focus on Autism. There are tons of very knowledgable and experienced Moms here and it's very hard to come up with a problem that someone here can't advise you about. Ask your questions and let us help- it's that support that we all come here for.   Good Luck!

wolfgirlbec
by on Sep. 3, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Welcome to the group! I am a mama of 2 and my oldest,my 15 y/o son,Alex,is also an aspie. He was dx'd when he was 6,though dh & I knew something was way off from the time he was 8 mos. old on,b/c he suddenly stopped meeting his 'milestones'-with the exception of speech.We were adamant w/ our pediatrician that something was wrong and were often dismissed w/ "oh well he was a big baby,he'll catch up" ,which used to drive us nuts! Lol! Eventually & after much persistance w/ the pediatrician,he referred us to early intervention(which,at that time,was still in its infancy),where he was percieved as merely being very smart,though it's pretty unusual to see a 3 y/o child responding to picture flash cards with very detailed answers-ie; picture of a dog;"that's a golden retriever!",Bird;"that's a red-tailed hawk!" Not to mention the time we were in the NEX(navy exchange-dh was active duty @ that time) & we are standing in front of a display of toy airplanes and next to a pilot in full uniform and Alex starts pointing to each airplane and correctly identifying it. When all was said & done,he'd id'd 30 aircraft in all(remember,this is a 3 y/o) and had the pilot literally slack-jawed! To this day,military aircraft-especially airplanes-are his fave 'fixation".  As for him finally getting dx'd,it was a long hard road and,in my opinion,probably could have been caught earlier than it was.As a result,he ended up having to repeat kindergarten and from k to 5th,was in ese(special ed) classes w/ reduced classroom sizes only & he was about a c or d grade student. It wasn't till the summer before he was to start 6th grade-middle school-that I found the amazing school he's in now.I was a nervous wreck about him starting ms in a 'regular' school. The one I found for him is AMAZING! It's a private,non-profit school that specializes in ONLY educating kids with asd's and related d/o's(ie:down's syndrome,tourettes,etc) and the teachers and staff  are all either parents of asd children ,are licensed ,clinical psychogists,or have worked in the mental health field before becoming part of the staff. When I saw his 1st report card,I just about passed out! Straight A's and B's!  So,depending on how long we live in this area(dh may be hired on for a job in the near future,which may require moving out of state),we will continue to have Alex attend this school.As for the meltdowns,hopefully,your son will just outgrow his meltdowns as he gets older,although Alex seems to have swapped his meltdowns for arguments now...! LOL! cat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)