• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disrespectful and outright wrong.

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hello, my son is 4 and recently his pedi told me that he seems to be displaying symptoms of aspergers and she thinks that he may also have a sensory processing disorder.  She told me that I needed to have him see a OT and seen by a developmental doctor, the wait here to be seen is 6months-a year. I went to have him tested by the school department yesterday and the woman spent 10 minutes with him, asked him his name, his age, where he lived, his colors, shapes and to count to 10. He is a very verbal child and is very intelligent.  He reads, writes his name, knows all of his colors, shapes, can count to 100.  I explained to her that intelligence was not my concern and told her that socially he needs help and that he has sensory problems. HER words to me "hes too smart to have anything WRONG with him, sorry he doesn't qualify for any help from the school" She acted like I wanted my son to test poorly and that is not the case but I feel as though she is dismissing what I was telling her and being completely rude to me and my child.  

We were just told he might be autisic and from what I have read and after talking to his doctor children with aspergers can be very verbal and very smart.  I am just so frustrated. I am sick of people acting like I wanted this for my son. No, I just wanted an anwser to as why he is delayed in some areas and what I can do to help him. I feel as if he is trapted in his own mind and now that I know what it is and that there is away to help him I won't stop until I am get what he needs. 

Sorry for such a vent, 

Andrea 

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kittymama2007
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Aww ((Hugs))!

ROGUEM
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Obviously the lady conducting the test did not know about Aspergers. A person with Aspergers would not have a speech delay and usually they are very verbal (knowing when to stop and what is appropriate to talk about is the problem) and can be quite bright or even genius level.  High functioning Aspergers is difficult to diagnosis when they are little. Aspgers is mainly  a social functioning disorder it is very hard to gage a young child's social skills. As your child get older it will become more and more evident.  I am sorry it will take so long of a diagnosis, but a developmental pediatrician will be well versed in this and pick on the disparities.

britniwheeler
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:54 PM

We are struggling with the school district and previous doctors. His last two teachers both agreed that they felt our son needed help but everyone keeps passing our son off because he is "too smart". Too bad he can't do his home work because he can't focus and shuts down. Too bad he can't make any friends and is being made fun of on a daily basis. Too bad for him and too bad for us, because no one wants to help! Trust me I feel your frustration. I wanted to tell you that your not alone, even though that doesnt really help. I would never wish this situation on anyone. God bless you and I pray that your son gets the help that he needs, as well as my son.

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I would bring them a list of your concerns and a sheet of aspergers/high functioning autism warning signs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)