Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism severity rating scale...

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM
  • 2 Replies
Ok..I don't get the whole autism rating scale. Logan had a neuro appt and his doc always goes through the questionnaires I do every time. Well this time he had added a new form that rates the severity of autism. Well Logan's results were in the severe. Which I truly wouldn't consider him severe since he's verbal, potty trained, dresses himself, is cognitively at preschool level (he is almost 5) and what the doc said is he fell there because of the social aspect. I don't get it and then read this blog which may or may not be valid but it was interesting...http://autismcrisis.blogspot.com/2010/02/what-is-severe-autism.html This statement is what caught my eye...As wouldn't be predicted at all, the non-language-impaired autistics, who had advantages not only in language but on measures of intelligence, were the "severe" autistics, while the language-impaired children were the "mild to moderate" ones. Pretty interesting stuff. What do you all think?
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
ROGUEM
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I found that article very interesting. I agree your son sounds like what most people would classify as HF.

I think the biggest problem is there is not a well rounded test.  Also which things will be weighted as more important.  Is potty trained more important than the ability to function in a social setting?  Is language more important than the ability to regulate aggressiveness.  There are non-verbal adults that type quite eloguently and hold very prestigious jobs, and there are verbal autistics in institutions because the outside world is too much for them. The problem is.... the experts can't agree.

Lets use my twins as an example.

Stephen - severely language impaired but no behaviors at all.  He can go anywhere and do anything and behave beautifully.  He is always happy and is a pleasure to be around.  He rarely talks and likes to be be himself quite a bit.  He can work computers and technology amazingly well.  He has low muscle tone and is challenged in manipulating utensils.  His is what I call severely autistic. He  tested moderate to severe on the Wechler test. But on tests that measure social and behavior skills he has gotten get a mild to normal score.

Jonathan - is verbal, and extremely bright.  He has behaviors and anxiety and SI.  He is what I would call HF and has been dx so.  But when he takes the social behavior test for austim he would fall in the severe range.  He can be aggressive and defiant and will not always behave in public. He can't function socially in a normal fashion. 

So it depends of what you are testing. In some ways Stephen is more severe than Jonathan, but in other areas Stephen is almost normal where Jonathan can't function at all. I guess it depends on how you classify autism and what criteria they have to meet.

momof3_dll
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Thanks for your insight Roguem!  All of these tests can be so overwhelming to understand. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)