Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Psst...Homeschool Mommas, come in here please!! (Others welcome too!!)

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:45 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son's teacher told me about a math site that the school is using to help the kids with math (my son's worst subject)  it's supposed to be programmable to the child's level, not their grade.  I've emailed the teacher for the site, but I was wondering if any of you might know of one?

We've gotten the warning that Thorne will fail 5th grade (even though he has an IEP) if he isn't able to complete his addition problems in  or less 1 minute 15 seconds, his subtraction in 1 minute 30 seconds, and his multiplication in 2 minutes. This is a page of 60 problems, something about automaticity (does that look right?).

Thank you for any help you can offer, it's greatly appreciated.  I promise as soon as I know the info I will pass it on if you'd like me to, just let me know!!

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jaderica
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Here's the one that I have used for my kids:  Hooda Math. This site has games, tutorials, and even timed tests so that you can periodically test progress. 

Hope it helps!

lfrrll5
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:10 PM
Wow can't believe they want to fail him over speed accuracy is way more important. Maybe try some games or practice sheets make it a game for him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ROGUEM
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:24 PM

we do this one for mulitplication and division. My son is in 5th grade also.

http://www.thegreatmartinicompany.com/Math-Quick-Quiz/multiply-divide-quiz.html

mommyof32006
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Thank you ladies, I'm going to let him try these until the teacher gets back to me.  I'm not sure why they want speed over accuracy, the part that bugs me the most is that it's this way for all the kids, special needs and mainstreamed.  Seriously, I'm not that great at math either, so I don't get it...and I'm studying to be an accountant LOL.

kittymama2007
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Well my kids use www.ixl.com. It's an awesome math site that allows the child to practice as long as they need. (I'm not a homeschool mom but i needed something to challenge my eldest or else he would drive me insane this past summer....) Of course it isn't free but it's a good price though. For my two kids it's $11.95/month. (I think the price for an additional child is $2.) Give it a try!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)