Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For mamas that choose to medicate...some questions

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:13 PM
  • 13 Replies
I was wondering how long/how many tries it took to get ur child's medications right for them? I am seriously considering a change to my son's meds. Long story short he was originally diagnosed wrong...Adhd with odd. Correct diagnosis is Aspergers. He is on the original adhd drug along with another one he was put on since his diagnosis. I know everyone is different and sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error but I was just wondering what you ladies' experience had been...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
letstalk747
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:20 PM

the right dose changes for various reasons , you get to the point where you can tell how the meds are working-- you probly know this ,

what on now and what change to that would help to know

LadyOsgood
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:34 PM

for myself at least since we have yet to medicate my daughter (she is also failure to thrive and we all fear medication will make this worse) i have to try a new med every year or two. i will start on a low dose and gradually increase every 6 months to a year...but i am an adult and i know when i feel the meds not working anymore...or my hubby tells me they arent working lol

michelle856
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Its been 3 years since we first tried medications and its still not right.   

ROGUEM
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:44 PM

All 3 of mine are on meds. 

Jonathan is on Risperdone.  Worked like a miracle 1st time he tried it.  I have tried every kind of ADHD and tenex and nothing has helped with his concentration.  So we just do the Risperdone for aggressive behavior.  He is maturing to the point that his concentration is improving.

Stephen is on Tenex.  No ADHD medication worked and I have tried many.  The tenex just slows him down some so he can learn. When not on medicine he can get too happy, euphoric really and it makes it hard to him to learn.  He also takes Remeron for sleep and weight gain. He could not gain weight no matter how much he ate.  Now he is gaining weight on this medicine...YAY!  He has lost his bird chest and looks healthier.

Matthew was so easy. The first ADHD medication worked perfectly. He has Aspergers and not Autism like my twins.  He will tell me to give him his medicine in the morning.  He says without it he feels like he is scattered and not held together.  He also takes Zoloft for his situational anxiety of storms.  This has helped greatly. He used to get so anxious he would sometimes throw up.

I believe my children have a brain disorder and they need it to function at a higher level.  I would not like to feel like they do without their medicine.

Finding the right medication can be frustrating. Good luck.

yona
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I've had my daughter on meds for 3 years. It took 2 tries with the same medication to get it right. The first time we up the dose to fast for her body to adjust. (we all learned from that) So the second time went very well. In April we add an as needed only med because although the one she's on does great for regular active schedules, it doesn't work for the MALL, Large Crowds, or new places/people.

She still has meltdowns and anxiety attack that end in a meltdown but they'er not as bad and fewer.

Yona

lilmommy10805
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:36 AM

My son was first put on Risperdale now he's on 40 mg of Vyvanse his dr is suppose to upping the dosage nest week. If that doesn't help we're switching meds. My son also has ADHD along with his autism.

mommabird96
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 8:37 AM

The medication coctail always seems to change.  Situations, growth, correction of diagnosis...  My daughter is ADHD, Apsergers, and Anxiety.  We had been treating with ADHD meds for a while until we got the AS diagnosis.  Then we reduced the ADHD meds and added an Anxiety med.  So far this seems to be a good combination.  

Unfortunately it's  a trial and error process.  Follow your gut.  that was my personal lesson.  Don't go solely by the teachers saying your child needs more meds - the meds are not for them...  Again - my lesson.  

Hang in there and follw your gut.  Mommies have great instincts! 

JSD24
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 9:41 AM

We got lucky and the 2nd med (Adderall XR) worked great with DD.  She was on it for a few years but needed a booster dose which she didn't always cooperate and be timely with.  We switched to Vyvanse because it lasts 13 hours.  It's been great for her.  Less ODD with meds.  She too started with ADHD that was changed to Aspergers around age 10.

mandy119
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:25 AM

That is the same thing with with us they diagnosed Landan with ADHD but now the correct diagnosis is Aspergers,we continued with the ADHD medicine and it really does help with the impulsive behaviors and helps him concentrate better .I know everybody is different but it really helps Landan a lot, so for us it works well he has really good days without medicine some days aren't so good!Hope this helps.

RDiaz123
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:20 PM
the adhd medication is vyvanse. we feel as though it aggravates his frustrations and mood swings as well as his temper. these are apparently common side effects ....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)