Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How do you start a Autism Support Group in your town???

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 11:05 AM
  • 15 Replies

I don't mean on the computer, I mean in real life?  I would love to start one in my town but I have no idea how to start.  I remember we had a post about this before but I can't seem to find now....LOL   I wanted to make a list of what needed to be done to start one.  Thanks ladies!  :) 

by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandy119
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 11:15 AM

I was thinking about this the other day ,we live in such a small town and every support group is 2 hours away from us ,I would like to start one myself. To bad Shell we live so far away from each other .The only support group that I have is you guys .It would be nice to have a real life support group but i have no idea how to start one either .

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Oct. 4, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I think michelle roguem made a post about it before,(a while ago) not sure.

but you would need a place to meet up,Ive heard of some meeting up at churches or town halls or schools.  put fliers and emails around for parents to join, in schools or library, or special needs DR office or regular DR offices.... you would need topics or maybe special speakers you could ask to come... 

thats all  i can think of i'm sure theres more to it

rockdalemama
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I started a support group for Special Needs kids in our county (the pop is 25,000 for the entire county).  I started out by writing letters to the editors of all the local papers asking if anyone was interested.  We only started out with five (mostly autism mommies I knew) and when I had to leave the group a couple of years ago (working nights does not work too well with trying to run a group) we had grown to 25-30 familes over three counties.  The support group now does a Fun Day once a year.  Before we started that, all we needed was a mission statement.  Now that they do fund raisers and request donations for the fun day, the group had to file paperwork as a LLC and tax exempt group.  You can usually go to your state's website and get more info.  I also talked to other support groups in other counties and found out what they did.  It doesn't take a lot of work.  The first couple of years we were mostly a coffee klatch.

Kittie26
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I have no clue, but I think I'd start at the developmental center and see what's already available. I live in a suburban area, but several large cities closeby so I'm sure we already have support groups.

shell3m
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I agree, I wish you were closer too so we could start one together.  ((Hugs))  :)

Quoting mandy119:

I was thinking about this the other day ,we live in such a small town and every support group is 2 hours away from us ,I would like to start one myself. To bad Shell we live so far away from each other .The only support group that I have is you guys .It would be nice to have a real life support group but i have no idea how to start one either .

shell3m
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I know a couple of people have posted about and of course when you need something you can never find it.  LOL   Thanks!  :)

Quoting aidensmomma508:

I think michelle roguem made a post about it before,(a while ago) not sure.

but you would need a place to meet up,Ive heard of some meeting up at churches or town halls or schools.  put fliers and emails around for parents to join, in schools or library, or special needs DR office or regular DR offices.... you would need topics or maybe special speakers you could ask to come... 

thats all  i can think of i'm sure theres more to it

shell3m
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 12:05 PM

WONDERFUL!!  Thank you so much.  :)

Quoting rockdalemama:

I started a support group for Special Needs kids in our county (the pop is 25,000 for the entire county).  I started out by writing letters to the editors of all the local papers asking if anyone was interested.  We only started out with five (mostly autism mommies I knew) and when I had to leave the group a couple of years ago (working nights does not work too well with trying to run a group) we had grown to 25-30 familes over three counties.  The support group now does a Fun Day once a year.  Before we started that, all we needed was a mission statement.  Now that they do fund raisers and request donations for the fun day, the group had to file paperwork as a LLC and tax exempt group.  You can usually go to your state's website and get more info.  I also talked to other support groups in other counties and found out what they did.  It doesn't take a lot of work.  The first couple of years we were mostly a coffee klatch.

rockdalemama
by on Oct. 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM

The coffee klatch worked well for us at the beginning.  It was a chance to compare therapies, IEP's, just vent about stuff.  When the weather was nice we would meet at the park.  All those ASD kids running around the park was a hoot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)