• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 11 old is having accidents

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:39 AM
  • 3 Replies

My 11 years old autistic son, had been fully poly trained since he was 3. Staring 2 weeks ago he stared to have accidents in bed and awake. We don't know why. Nothing had change at home or school. I was wondering if anyone had gone through something similar??? And could give me an advice, Thanks. 

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
diane122
by Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:35 AM

We are going thru this with our 11 yr old son too.  I've been reading a lot of things on the web, other people's experiences with it, medical sites, etc.  In our case, he also has pretty severe ADHD, so we've come to the conclusion that he gets so invoived in what he's doing that he forgets or is unaware of the need till its too late.  Also, we had this happen before and his doctor suggested that maybe he's having a growth spurt and his bladder is slower to catch up.  Now, I have to remind him when he's playing video games or watching tv to go.  I hope this helps somewhat.  Good luck - I know its very frustrating.

kathrynmlise
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM

If this is sudden on-set I would start with a doctor visit to rule out UTI and diabetes. With a clear bill of health I would try going back to whatever motivator works for him. My son is 9 and goes through this for about 2 weeks a couple times a year. It's hard to reward him for something that's expected of him anyway but I have to remember he is Autistic and expectations can be varied. For my son M&M's are a good motivator. He gets a baggie in the evening for staying dry all day. It could be you have to start smaller than that and give your son something every-time he uses the toilet for the first few days then go to an all-day expectation. Good luck!

nicksmom217
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM

no advice, but my son, who is almost 13, for the last few month being peeing in bad, he says, he was dreaming, but i don;t know. he didn't do this, sense 5 years old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)