Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gcdiet dillema

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM
  • 10 Replies

so  i had allisons blood work done i got the results and thank god she has no allergies to food. i guess in a way i was dissapointed because if she whould have the allergies then i would have defenitley changed her diet and that would have brought her tantrums and stims down as som many moms say. so now i dont know if i should still try it but the thing is she loves her cookies and milk and pancakes eggs all her dairy so im confused and tired of thinkinking if i should try it and i guess the other thing is changing her diet is going to be more expensive and thats something i cant do right now im just frustrated. anyways thanks for listening.

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mallowcup17
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 12:59 PM

this stuck out to me: Important Suggestions

Start the diet gradually, one meal or one food at a time.  That is, for a week , just make dinner gluten free and casein free.  Then once you've got that figured out, add in breakfast.  Then after that's done, add in lunch and snacks.  

Add more foods to your child's diet that are acceptable BEFORE you start the diet.  Start introducing rice and potatoes if your child only eats noodles.  Add fruits and vegetables to every meal so that you child may eventually try the new foods.  The reason this is suggested is  the gluten free and casein free substitutes don't really taste like the "real things" they know and love.  Rather than having them starve during a a hunger strike, you will have backups in case they reject the gluten-free and casein free substitutes.

from http://www.gfcfdiet.com/beginningthediet.htm#Important Suggestions

and i think with your situation this may be the best approach to start. 

we dont do the diet but i think this is a good way to start any kind of diet or change. good luck! there are some knowledgeable members in here who can give you their personal experience and i hope can help you out!

twins0506
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:46 PM
Betty crocker makes amazing cookies that you bake. But yea its expensive. Because you can't use regular butter you have to buy the dairy free butter and that's expensive. And my boys really love their very vanilla soy milk. But that is expensive too. I never had them tested but I feel like it works so the few extra dollars every week is worth it to me. JMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shell3m
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Kate and Holly gave you WONDERFUL advice, and also we have some wonderful links in our Resources for Families in our sticky tab posts.  :)

jacky7141
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:59 AM

wait hold on what do you mean you dont do the diet how come?

LadyOsgood
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:04 PM

If this was me and I was faced with the decision I would skip the diet for now. If she eats dairy so well and isn't allergic then don't take it away from her. My girl hardly eats anything at all and weighs only 30 lbs so we decided against it for now but will reevaluate later if she is a better weight and we think it is appropriate.Good luck!

mallowcup17
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM

not everyone does. its a personal decision that we have chosen not to do

Quoting jacky7141:

DyerMaker
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:07 PM

just because a child is on the spectrum doesn't mean that they MUST go gluten and casein free. Although some people swear it is the best thing, others have seen no results so it is up to the parents to determine what they want to get out of the diet. I will tell you that even those that have done the diet and seen results do not rely soley on changing a diet to "fix" issues. Multiple therapies are used, some issues are reduced, some never go away... it doesn't mean defeat.

Quoting jacky7141:

MalachiteGlow
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 2:35 PM

We did the gcf diet with my son and it made no difference, but when in deperation a few years later I did the specific carbohydrate diet with him it made a huge difference.  After being on it really strictly for a year I was able to ease off a bit and now he just doesn't do gluten.  If he gets into any he gets a horrible stomach ache and screams a lot.  So I guess my point is that while some kids have a dramatic improvement on the gcf diet, not all do.  We shouldn't assume that one size fits all.  That would just be too easy with our mysterious kids.

maabrowen
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Ryan was gfcf for about a year and we noticed a huge difference in behavior - for the better!  We would occasionally cheat to see how he would do.  He handled the gluten pretty well, but dairy was a big disaster.  Within 20 minutes of consuming dairy products he will flap his hands, have expolsive tantrums, and completely withdraw.  We had him tested for an allergy to dairy but nothing showed up.  However, there is definately something that intensifies his austic behavior.  So we are now simply casein free.  I have read so much on the diet that it is overwhelming.  However, I would agree that you need to do what is best for your kiddo.  If you are going to go both gluten and dairy free I think you have to give the diet a few months before you might see results because gluten can hang around in the system for awhile.  Good luck and keep us posted....:)

E_is_4_Ethan
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 2:13 AM

I'm lucky to get my Little guy to eat. So, no special diet here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)