Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

socializing

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM
  • 4 Replies

My son has come a long way in the last month. He is much less aggressive and much more cooperative. I would like to see him start to socialize a little but he is comepletely against this. I have tried to get him to join the swim team and a couple others with no luck. Any ideas on this? Am I pushing him to do something he's not capable of? I just dont want him to be lonely. I see the desire for friends when he claims his brothers friends as his and when he's jealous that kis brother has gone to see a friend. How do I teach him to handle social situations and learn to make friends?

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
nicksmom217
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM

my son is almost 13, has the same problem. we moved specially for him so he can  make friends, the place where we are, has a lot of  kids, my son tried few times, but it always ends up with misunderstanding, because it is hard to pick up ques and to understand, what is right, what is a jock, my son takes  everything literally, so he gives up, he says he wantssome one with the same interests. we still talk to him about it, we encourage,but   ,  he has to feel comfortable. is far is swimming, in the past we tried with baseball,  karate, he cant do it in front of other people, it is to much pressure for my son.i take day by day, keep talking and hoping, one day he will want to try again.

shell3m
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:13 PM

The way I look at about Dean is, is he happy at least playing NEXT to another child.  I do try to get him to play with other kids but if he doesn't want to then that's fine.  :)

E_is_4_Ethan
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 1:54 AM

My son is 6 and he just started wrestling last-night. I thought about this sport for him because he loves heroes. Such as Harry Potter, Star Wars, Bat Man, and others. He is also great with rules. I know this sport well due to my brother that I also raised (mom died of breast cancer) being a wrestler forever. Anyways, I am very happy with the way it went last-night. The kids looked at him funny only for a second because of  the head phones that he wears, but other than that  it went really good. It's so hard to see him around "normal" kids. It makes my heart hurt, but on the other hand I want him to be around all types of kids.

CandyMoon
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 3:11 AM

My son is 12 and always had problems socializing and never made friends of his own. He would sometimes talk to his sisters friends, but could never take a joke because he too takes everything literally. He is in a Residential Facility right now and is learning to socialize and is at least eating in the cafeteria with the other children ( something he never did ). However he will not participate in any of the sports activities. They tell him he has to at least watch but he refuses to play in any kind of sports. And also has a lot of trouble in his group therapy. He was always a loner. But in other areas is doing wonderful. They are teaching him some coping skills and ways to handle his anger, so there is hope. Good luck to you and your son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)