Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Why do you treat him special?"

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:44 AM
  • 8 Replies

Oy vey....so my mom had Tristan and my 5 yr old niece last weekend.  My parents are really good w/Tristan and they understand all his quirks & how his brain works.  That being said....my mom told me at one point my niece got upset and asked her "Gigi, how come you treat HIM so special?"  She was jealous and I think confused how come my mom let's Tristan get away w/ like eating whatever he wants for dinner (as long as he is eating...you know?) and he doesn't get yelled at for taking a bite and walking around the table and coming back for the next bite, etc.  Mom was thrown off and didn't know how to respond.  How can she explain to a NT 5 yr old about what's going on w/ DS?

Oh and as a sidebar.....she is starting to learn her sight words and when she couldn't figure some of them out (on Thanksgiving), my sister (her mom) says , "Show it to Tristan..he knows them.  Let him help you".  Well that REALLY made my niece mad.  My sister didn't mean to hurt her feelings, she just figured since Tristan knew his sight words at 24 months...it might be a fun way for them to play or bond or something.  .....sigh....

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
twins0506
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:05 AM
My nephew is really jealous of my boys too. Its getting really bad. My sister babies him and so now he gets mad when my boys are at the center of attention. I love my nephew but I can't take it anymore.

I hope your neice can get used to it too. How does your sister react to it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kittie26
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:48 AM

What do you mean by "sight words"?

sunsign4u2
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I am having the same issue but within my own home. I have a four year old that wants to know why her bigger brother acts younger than she does. Its hard to explain and I am really at a loss for words most of the time.

TristansMom440
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 7:44 AM

Here's some sample lists

fishforwords.com/sight-wordlists.php

Quoting Kittie26:

What do you mean by "sight words"?

TristansMom440
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 7:47 AM

My sister is hard to read.  Sometimes I think she gets a little jealous that Tristan is so smart, but she never says anything and I try not to make a big deal when he does something "extra ordinary" in her presence.  She definately doesn't have a problem with him being coddled more or anything b/c she does it, too, lol.

Quoting twins0506:

My nephew is really jealous of my boys too. Its getting really bad. My sister babies him and so now he gets mad when my boys are at the center of attention. I love my nephew but I can't take it anymore.

I hope your neice can get used to it too. How does your sister react to it?

isotoner
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 8:13 AM

That's a tough one.  My normal 5yo wonders why we treat his hfa 9 yo brother differently.  He's been around a few of his big brother's meltdowns.  I tell him that Toby's made different than him and he needs a little more help than most people.  I don't know what to tell you about your situation, but good luck. 

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Nov. 27, 2011 at 8:18 AM

I don't know but to maybe let her know special things that she is treated a certain way

lovearcen
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 8:24 AM

i think id try to be as honest with them as possible  i know it will be hard for a kid to understand  but at least your trying and one day they will "get it"   im going through the same thing with my father  he just cant get it  how arcen is different  it makes the situation  rough  cause of arcens sensory issues  he doesnt want people touching him and my father and alot of others will mess with him when he shreiks at their touch or pulls away  it sucks  makes me want to yell people

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)