Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom to Nicholas

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:04 PM
  • 6 Replies
I just saw this group and thought I would join. My DH's son from a previous marriage is autistic. It was hard dealing with it at first because he was so cute, smiley, full of life, and when he smiled it just lit up the room and then nothing. Unfortunately, for my DH his ex has told countless lies about us and we have not seen the children for almost three years. It kills my DH inside every day and I know that soon, he will see his children again. I mean his ex has to grow up some day and realize what she is doing is not only hurting him, but hurting his children right? He is such a wonderful father, they loved him soo much, and they were angels until that had to act like a kid every once in a while :) I still try to stay up to date on what is going on in the world of autism just in case they come back into our lives. My DH also has a daughter who does not have autism, but she is still special nonetheless. I miss them terribly as well. Sorry for the sad post! Just wanted to say hi! Andrea
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Welcome to the group! I hope you and your DH get to see the kiddos again soon. As a single mom, I've never been able to understand why anyone would try to keep a child away from a loving parent.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:28 PM

im a stepmom also. my stepdaughter is 7 and is likely on the spectrum. as far as the other issues what is stopping him from seeing them? has she disappeared or does she just not allow it, which if that is the case he has the right to go to court and get everything in writing so he can see them. we deal with jealousy and such too, my dh and his ex are not on the same page when it comes to discipline and other things so it makes helping my stepdaughter and getting her into the right care even harder. welcome to the group and i hope you see those kids soon!

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:31 PM

WELCOME!!  to our family.  I'm sorry the birth mother is being a pain.  You aren't the only step mom in this group that's dealing with a stupid birth mother.  One of my best friends in here is dealing with that and can 100% relate.  I'm sure she'll pop in here.  :)  My name is Michelle and I have 3 boys and my oldest Dean is our Autistic one.  Glad you found us hun!  woo-hoo!  :)

wave      welcome

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 2:59 PM

what a wonderful woman you are, for loving your step-kids so much and you're doing the right thing, by keeping up to day about what is going on.

by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 2:35 PM
Thank you Ladies! This is the second time she has not allowed my DH to see his children. When they were just babies she disappeared for three months and filed for divorce. He was so upset, depressed, and lost he almost committed suicide. This time he has me to pick up the pieces and make sure he still lives for himself. The reasons behind her not allowing him to see his kids is purely selfish. She hates my DH and is very, very immature. She told the Sheriff that we were selling his son's epilepsy meds for money and that's why she wouldn't allow him back with us. Which is kind of funny because she was not giving us enough medicine to medicate his son while he was staying with us. We actually had to call DFS and make a report so she would be forced to give us the right bottle with ALL the medicine so we could properly medicate him. We did not know we were under medicating him because she gave us his medicine in a plastic bag with handwritten instructions. It was not until he had his first seizure with us that we questioned the medication. It was a huge blowout between those two and he was so lost on why the mother(if she can be called that) of his children would endanger his life like that. Even though the divorce decree states she must give us the kid every week and the Sheriff must uphold this agreement, they don't. The law enforcement in that crappy town are too freakin' lazy to do jack shit and just keep telling us to go to court. After I shove the paper in their face they just stare at me like I'm a dumb woman and laugh. We do not have the money to go back to court and fight for custody right now. It's hard, but everything we do to improve our lives is to prepare for his kids coming back in our lives and getting back to normal. :)
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Welcome Andrea.  I am sorry to hear what is going on.  I hope he gets to see his kids soon.  Its good that you want to stay on top of things.  Autism is something affects everyone, and the more you know the better things are. My name is Amy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)