Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:27 PM
  • 20 Replies
My son was just diagnosed with PDD-nos. and interested in who else is going thru what I am going thru. Very difficult. Been reading tones of info as I was told to not google.
Hope some one out there can relate to me and talk
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Hi, How old is your son? My son is almost 5 (January). He was dx at a young age due to his lack of communication skills. I didn't realize the other red flags were issues....just thought they were quirks or something. He's come a long way since then, but still has a long way to go (with communication & speech, as well as other areas). He's a bundle of energy. Fun & confusing. Did I mention he has a ton of energy, lol.

I remember the first weeks & months after his dx. Very emotional for me. Very lonely. Very confusing. Let me know if  you'd like to talk. This is a great group.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Hi! Welcome to the group. There are plenty that can relate. I am Sheri, I have 2 sons. My oldest is almost 2 1/2 and has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS also. My other son is 4 months old. A few weeks after my 4 month old was born is when we got the official diagnosis, so things are still fresh and new. The best thing I can tell you is to take some time for yourself. Find a way for it to happen.

Not everyone reacts the same way, but for me, I felt like I was mourning the child I would never have. I felt robbed and cheated. However your reaction, you need some time. It is VERY normal to do a little grieving, to feel mad, or want this to all go away. Just know this... it will get better.

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:38 PM

my boys are 3 and are both diagnosed with PDD-NOS. I did a lot of googling and i actually think it helped me. It gave me a much better understanding of what PDD is and how I can help them and all of that. Sometimes google can be bad because you can diagnose yourself and thats not good. but for this, i think it helped me. Well that and being here in this group helped. This is a great group and I think you will find a lot of info and a lot of support here. Welcome!

by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 7:49 AM
Hi!! My name is Susan and I have a 7 year old son who was diagnosed with PDD-NOS last year. I did google and I read a lot of books. We had him go to a private Occupational Therapist. Bought a lot of fidget objects, a weighted blanket, and most recently an ipad. He became verbal at 4. When I asked about Autism at age three the school said he was too young for a diagnosis like that. We ended up having him diagnosed privately. He did have early intervention though because he is speech delayed and has fine motor delays. I found that reading helped me the most.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Wendy on Nov. 27, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Welcome to the group! My name is Wendy My son has Autistic Disorder.  His name is Aiden and he is 5.  My son doesn't have the pdd-nos but I can relate to alot of what you are going through! 

by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:40 AM

My son JD is almost 8 now and was diagnosed with PDD-Nos (among other things) a couple of months ago.  It's really hard to get your head around it all.  You will go through a whole range of emotions, thoughts, worries, and happiness too.  When you find things that work for them, that make their day easier, man, it's like I've won the lotto!  But it's a process to get to acceptance.  And most days, I feel light years away from acceptance.  They are very unique kids that I think act as a reminder to us all, not to take ourselves too seriously.  I don't always get a chance to come on and check posts regularly, but you can always send me a message that I can respond to.  We are all here to help each other.  Hugs

by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Welcome to the group! How old is your son? My daughter, Aly, is 2.5 and was diagnosed PDD-NOS 4 months ago. She's responded so well to therapies that I believe she will "lose" her diagnosis by the time she is school age. At least I hope so. We all know what you are going through, so, just join in the conversation, ask questions, make yourself at home!

by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:13 PM

My son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS about 6 months ago.  His sensory issues have improved, and his play skills are much better. He's still doing a lot of parallel play, but now and then I see him play with one of his peers for a short time. He's also doing lots of pretend play, which was barely happening at all before. So I can say, all his hard work is paying off.

We still have meltdowns galore though, and his play is very rigid, his ability to cope with change is very rigid. And I am beginning to suspect he may have Tourette's Syndrome also, so all it has been a few steps forward, a few steps back.  But at least he's moving forward.

by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:23 PM
Pervasive development disorder (pdd) non specified (nos) falls on the spectrum. They just don't know where to place them. My son was diagnosed last year. Grieve and then one day at a time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 9:23 PM

My daughter was diagnosed with PDD-NOS in April and after a re-eval with the dev team & nero docs she now has cerebral palsy & autism.  It is very hard. I try to stay away from google and stay with the sites recommended by the docs.  Just hang in there and take it one day at a time. Hugs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)