Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

another question

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:23 PM
  • 5 Replies

my question stems from two thing my son swears his middle name is part of our last name and the other day he said that the biggest number is 1000 how do i get him to realize the truth any ideas would be great

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
letstalk747
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:37 PM

i wish i knew , my son 11 , does thing like this also

Momma2JandK
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:46 PM
I think sometimes we just have to let them believe until they are really ready to learn otherwise. It's like thier world can't grasp otherwise just yet and it just needs more time.
ROGUEM
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I would get his birth certificate and yours or others in the family and show him how everyone has a middle and last name.  I would also look up online about the origin of middle and last names and read it with him.  Our children like concrete facts with explanation to back them up.  I have had to do things like this too.  I try to handle it as a learning experinece for both of us.  I never argue with him anymore.  We just go check the facts.  I don't want to seem like I am saying I told you so, just that I want him to know the right answer.  

As for the the 1000 dollar question...lol.    I would go online and type in "what is the biggest number in the world?"   When my son says outlandish things as the truth, I just say why don't we google it and see.   Sometimes I even pretend to have my own outlandish opinion so he doesn't always feel he is the only one that gets things wrong.

My son has gotten much better at this - I think mainly because he has seen he can be wrong and he knows that we will find the right answer.  He also now asks more that he states about topics. 

Hope this helps.

ColleenMarie81
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:59 PM

thanks so much he know he has a middle name but it is actually part of our last name the number cae from his bus driver lol thanks again he gets so mad when i try to explain it we called grandma and he said she was wrong to :)

Quoting ROGUEM:

I would get his birth certificate and yours or others in the family and show him how everyone has a middle and last name.  I would also look up online about the origin of middle and last names and read it with him.  Our children like concrete facts with explanation to back them up.  I have had to do things like this too.  I try to handle it as a learning experinece for both of us.  I never argue with him anymore.  We just go check the facts.  I don't want to seem like I am saying I told you so, just that I want him to know the right answer.  

As for the the 1000 dollar question...lol.    I would go online and type in "what is the biggest number in the world?"   When my son says outlandish things as the truth, I just say why don't we google it and see.   Sometimes I even pretend to have my own outlandish opinion so he doesn't always feel he is the only one that gets things wrong.

My son has gotten much better at this - I think mainly because he has seen he can be wrong and he knows that we will find the right answer.  He also now asks more that he states about topics. 

Hope this helps.

shell3m
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 2:14 AM

You can't.  They will out grow it.  Dean thought he was a year older than he was for the longest time.  "I'M SEVEN YEARS OLD!!!"  No Dean you're 6 not 7 yet..."I'M SEVEN!!!  I'M SEVEN!! NOOOOOO  I'M SEVEN!!!!!!!". 

ya, that went on for about a week.....LOL  He finally got it right though, it just takes some time.  You definitely can't argue your side of it with our babies, you just have to wait out their brain and bring it back up at a later date.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)