Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What other apps should we put on this? Thank you.

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:09 AM
  • 6 Replies

My father went out and got our son an Ipad. We just got it. He had heard that kids who have autism issues can do really well with apps on the Ipad. So far we have put these apps on here.

All About Me - All About Me is an application offering picture, text and audio support to individuals learning their personal information. Twelve icons representing categories lead to statements that can be individualized for the user. In addition, personal photos can be added with an Apple camera ready device or imported from pictures stored in photo folder to provide... visual support. In addition audio can be added. Typically developing young children learning their personal information for the first time and those with developmental delays such as language impairment, ADHD, auditory processing disorder, PDD-NOS and autism will benefit from this interactive application.

First Letters - Match the letters and listen to the song! First Letters teaches the youngest iPhone kids about letters and phonics, and includes two original renditions of the ABC Song by popular children's musician Debi Derryberry. Toddler tested and approved, First Letters keeps your toddlers entertained and engaged while developing important pre-reading skills.

Talking Tom 2 - Talk to Tom and he will repeat everything you say with a funny voice.
✔ Pet Tom's belly or head and make him purr.
✔ Poke his head, belly or feet.

Autism Xpress - The ‘Autism Xpress’has been created to help promote greater awareness about autism spectrum disorders. It is designed to encourage people with autism to recognizes and express their emotions through its fun and easy to use interface.

School Skills - This social skill app is appropriate for people with high functioning autism. The social skills are geared towards common situations that arise during the school day, such as: Conversations, Classroom, Cafeteria, PE Class, Recess, Playing games and other social skill areas. The app gives a description of the social skill and on the bottom has Expected/Unexpected buttons. When one of these buttons is pressed, it lists the behaviors that others are expecting or that is unexpected to others. The student needs to understand that if they have unexpected behavior it will upset others around them. If they keep their behavior on expected, they will be socially successful.

Angry Octopus  - Children love to unwind and relax with this fun exercise known as “progressive muscular relaxation”. Children relate to the angry octopus in this story as the sea child shows him how to take a deep breath, calm down, and manage his anger. These effective stress and anger management techniques for children focus awareness on various muscle groups to create a complete resting of the mind and body. Muscular relaxation can lower stress and anxiety levels. It can be used to decrease pain and anger. This engaging story quiets the mind and relaxes the body so your child can let go of anger and fall asleep peacefully.

Virtuoso - Be the maestro with Virtuoso Piano Free, a new iPod touch, iPhone and iPad instrument. Learn and play the piano anytime and anywhere.

MyJournal - Winner of a Parents' Choice Gold Award, the Make a Journal app encourages children to identify and talk about their feelings about their everyday experiences like school, playtime and friends. The app features an animated version of favorite Neighborhood of Make-Believe character Daniel Striped Tiger, who invites children to make a journal to help them reflect on the things they do and to express how they feel.

Splatter HD - Splatter HD is a great app for children with autism who enjoy painting, vibrant colors, and tactile learning! Moms will be thrilled to hear that there is, in fact, a way for a child to make colorful paint splatters for free and with clean-up as easy as a couple of shakes of a stick. (Or an iPad.)

Going Places - MY Favorite,  Very COOL app! - Model Me Going Places™ is a great visual teaching tool for helping your child learn to navigate challenging locations in the community. Each location contains a photo slide show of children modeling appropriate behavior.

LOCATIONS:
- Hairdresser
- Mall
... - Doctor
- Playground
- Grocery Store
- Restaurant
Feel Electric - Parents need to know that Feel Electric! is a tremendously creative app that teaches kids emotions and language skills. The app's features -- videos, photos, games, and emotions-related vocabulary building activities -- star the talented young cast of the PBS show The Electric Company showing kids how to express their emotions with words.

Candy Train - Parents need to know that Candy Train is a suspenseful and fast-paced -- but completely kid-friendly -- puzzle game. As a train moves around the screen, you need to quickly rearrange the track in front of it in order to make sure it never hits a dead end. You can pick up giant candies and sweets for bonus points. And as the game goes on, more cars will be added, lengthening the train and adding to the challenge.

Feed Me - Parents need to know that Feed Me! - Pencilbot Preschool is a fun and colorful learning game for kids under five, with a fantastic gimmick -- you "feed" your answers to the adorable monster. The free app comes with over 100 questions, but other question packs can be purchased separately for 99¢ each. This can easily be done from the app's homepage, so if you don't want to buy them, make sure your kids don't "accidentally" purchase them on their own. Also, be aware when downloading, that there are multiple versions of Feed Me! in different languages -- be sure to choose the correct one.

Art of Glow - Parents need to know that Art of Glow is a free art creation app, kind of like a 21st century version of the old standard LITE-BRITE art toy but with animation. You choose your settings for color, shape, speed, and more and then begin to finger paint endless combinations of moving, twinkling, fading art forms. This can be simple, shiny fun for little kids or a more complex art tool for older kids, teens, and even adults with an eye for the psychedelic. The targeted age of 6 reflects the need to be able to read to navigate the app's settings.

So what else? Any other ideas? Thank you.

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
milfanyway
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:32 AM
My mother is buying camlin one for christmas, we haven't got it yet though so I'm no help, but I certainly appreciate the list! Lol the talking cat one we have on our phones and camlin loves it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:34 AM
We have Starfall on my iPhone for ds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kupus
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:01 AM
Oh thank you so much for this. We already have some of these. I downloaded a few from your list (feel electric, school skills and candy train) and they are so awesome. My boy will love them! :-)
Kupus
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 7:08 AM
There is this app called Autism Apps. If you download it, it gives you a categorized list of a lot of autism applications. Apart from this, some of the apps my son likes are:

Brain Pop
I like books
Fireworks
Rocket Math
Montessori counting board
Google earth
Glow painter
Bridge basher
Toontastic

I hope this helps!

ROGUEM
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Okay let me just say a big   THANK YOU!!!

I bought my son an ipad for Christmas I am going to buy some apps this week so I am so glad you posted this.  After I buy some I will let you know if I like them.

But thank you for getting me started.

Kittie26
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I had an iPad very briefly (borrowed from my brother) but he had to take it back. The ones I was focusing on were choice boards to help her tell me what she wanted, and first, then apps so she could know what was happening now and next. Visual schedules. 

I am planning on getting her an ipad for Christmas if I win my work's weight loss challenge (find that out on Wednesday), and I may use some of yours to fill it out. Thanks for sharing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)