Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm new to this but how to deal with aggression

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM
  • 2 Replies

My son Bradly has been diagnosed with Autism for about a month befor then it had been only Sensory Processing Disorder. Bradly turned 3 in September and Birth to Three stopped so, shortly after he started early childhood where he gets his therapies but is in a room with 5 other kids.

Lately Bradly has been getting aggressive with everyone even his classmates; biting, pinching, scratching, hitting, and kicking. For no apparent reason. I talked with Sue his teacher at school and we talked and got better insight and we found some possible triggers for the aggression such as the noise and excitment level also, when Brad started he was the only kid there and now that more kids are turning 3 they are joining the class. 

The problem is at home too and I'm not sure how to get him to stop so far I take his hands try and get some eye contact and tell him 'no' in a firm tone but most of the time he only laughs at me and tries to do it again. Bradly has very little communication skills he will make noises like he is talking but no words and at times he will echo what you say but nothing of his own.  

I just don't know what to try.   

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
RobinChristine
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:06 PM

maybe try teaching him some basic sign language so he can express his own thoughts/feelings.

http://www.lifeprint.com/ this is a wonderful sight for learning, good luck!

ROGUEM
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:20 PM

I do social stories for my twins.  They seem to understand things better when they read them in that format than when I try to verbally tell them what is and isn't appropriate behavior.

Here are some video of what they are.  I usually make mine in book form so we can take them places.  We do sometimes watch them.

When you say a situation or a person is hopeless, you're slamming the door in the face of God.  ~Charles L. Allen

http://www.cafemom.com/group/112775

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)