Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there anything else?

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter is 4 y/o Autistic. She was tested and we were told that it would be best if she started a special preschool to help her. We agreed and she seems to love her preschool.
The thing I'm wondering is, is there anything else? Any other kind of therapy? When we started we were only concerned that she was speaking, but not communicating.
Now she acts more autistic then she did before (of course that could be because she's not with me every second so I'm seeing her differently OR that she's getting older so its more obvious then when she was 2)

I keep reading the “Right to Know” statement that they give us with Every thing they send us. We may have the right to know, but are they going to tell us if we don’t ask? And how are we supposed to know what to ask?

She’s been in therapy since Feb and she is making some progress, but its intensely slow - which I know every child is different and I can’t rush it, but I just want to make sure that she is getting the best possible therapy and I don’t know what questions to ask.

What do your kids get?

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
snailteacher
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:53 PM

What does she currently get?

snailteacher
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I am assuming speech, it is a sped preschool so I am assuming she has educational hours built in.  Does she have sensory issues?  OT might be needed. 

Works4Mom.com
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:03 PM

She gets OT and speech. She has a specialized program, they use ABA, (which reminds me of when they got that money to use sign language, but what do I know)
Below is part of her new program. They trying to teach her to play (which she knew how to do before she started preschool) and to listen to commands and do what she’s told.
It’s not that we don’t like the school, we love her school very very much.
I just want to make sure there isn’t a better, faster, more effective therapy.

This is a snippet of her new program.

Jenn8604
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:12 PM
does she use PECS (picture exchange communication) at school? my son does and hes doing fine at school w playing. he also has st and ot outside of school. so he has 3hrs speech and 2 hrs 20 mins of ot a wk. i say if u feel she needs more time w each see what ur insurance can cover. or maybe try a new one outside of school maybe music or animal therapy some pple say it helps and if u can afford or get grants for it i say go for it. google both.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicksmom217
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM

if she is speaking now, then it's good to get her in to social skills group.

Works4Mom.com
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Keira refuses to use PECS. At one point they removed the pictures and just put words and she was a little more willing to use it, but she says the words as she hands them the pictures. That's the odd thing, she's not non-verbal, she non-communicating :) Either way that isn't doing a lot of good, she doesn't like it. I think I'm going to suggest they take away the PECS (or in her case the WECS) and give her letters and see if she'll spell out what she wants.

We just got Katie Beckett (medicade) but we're on a waiting list.

milfanyway
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:05 PM
We do equine therapy once a week. Its out of pocket, around forty bucks a week, but had done awesome things for my son physically and communication wise. He talks to "jack" (his most common horse) way more then he speaks to us! The other things you may want to llook into are therapy aids for your home, and possibly an autism dog. Im not an expert on these, as we just simply can't afford one, but they are supposed to be awesome for spectrum kids. My sons special preschool has a therapy dog who is owned by one of the paras and camlin loves her! Also animals are awesome for our kids cause they don't place social expectations on them. They are a great way to teach socially correct behavior without all the pressure and over stimulation that comes with people lol. Music therapy also has tons of benefits, but alot of these are things that are independent from the school district. Insurance covers alot of it, but by no means all. Camlin has three different insurances covering him, and we are still out of pocket several hundred dollars a month for therapy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Works4Mom.com
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I wish we could have animals, but I have horrible allergies. The kind that can put me in the hospital if I'm not careful. Cats and Dogs are big time out. I don't know if she could slow down long enough to ride a horse, but if I could get my husband to bring her (and bathe her afterwards lol) that's possibility.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)